May 9, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
From the Detroit Free Press:
The Detroit Red Wings have granted permission for NHL clubs to talk to assistant coaches Tom Renney and Bill Peters.
General manager Ken Holland said Friday he’s received “a couple of calls” from colleagues looking to hire head coaches, but would not name the teams. NHL clubs with head coaching vacancies number Carolina, Florida, Vancouver and Washington.
Safe to say, anytime a coach gets to spend time working under Mike Babcock, it’s going to add to his résumé. San Jose’s Todd McLellan and Ottawa’s Paul MacLean each did that before they got head-coaching jobs in the NHL.
Renney (pictured) has already been the head coach of the Canucks, Rangers, and Oilers, with limited success.
The younger Peters had been a successful head coach in the WHL and AHL before joining the Wings’ staff in 2011.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)