May 9, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
From the Detroit Free Press:
The Detroit Red Wings have granted permission for NHL clubs to talk to assistant coaches Tom Renney and Bill Peters.
General manager Ken Holland said Friday he’s received “a couple of calls” from colleagues looking to hire head coaches, but would not name the teams. NHL clubs with head coaching vacancies number Carolina, Florida, Vancouver and Washington.
Safe to say, anytime a coach gets to spend time working under Mike Babcock, it’s going to add to his résumé. San Jose’s Todd McLellan and Ottawa’s Paul MacLean each did that before they got head-coaching jobs in the NHL.
Renney (pictured) has already been the head coach of the Canucks, Rangers, and Oilers, with limited success.
The younger Peters had been a successful head coach in the WHL and AHL before joining the Wings’ staff in 2011.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 44
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 41
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)