May 9, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
From the Detroit Free Press:
The Detroit Red Wings have granted permission for NHL clubs to talk to assistant coaches Tom Renney and Bill Peters.
General manager Ken Holland said Friday he’s received “a couple of calls” from colleagues looking to hire head coaches, but would not name the teams. NHL clubs with head coaching vacancies number Carolina, Florida, Vancouver and Washington.
Safe to say, anytime a coach gets to spend time working under Mike Babcock, it’s going to add to his résumé. San Jose’s Todd McLellan and Ottawa’s Paul MacLean each did that before they got head-coaching jobs in the NHL.
Renney (pictured) has already been the head coach of the Canucks, Rangers, and Oilers, with limited success.
The younger Peters had been a successful head coach in the WHL and AHL before joining the Wings’ staff in 2011.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)