May 9, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Few would doubt Sidney Crosby‘s status as one of the NHL’s brightest stars, but that doesn’t mean that he’s universally beloved.
The Pittsburgh Penguins center can be polarizing because he plays with a feisty edge. Many are impressed by that passion for the game, yet just as many people find his competitiveness (and other words that aren’t as kind) off-putting.
We’ve seen the elite scorer lose his cool in the playoffs before – just study his battles with Claude Giroux – and No. 87 looked awfully irritated at times during Pittsburgh’s 5-1 Game 5 loss to the New York Rangers on Friday:
Is it best to try to get him “off his game” or are the Rangers possibly playing with fire by making him angry? Either way, it seems like this series is starting to heat up. It will be interesting to see how Crosby responds in Game 6 at Madison Square Garden on Sunday.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 36
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 2
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 18
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13