May 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz coached the Nashville Predators for 16 seasons before they decided to go in a different direction. It’s the only NHL team he’s ever been the bench boss of, but he’s hoping that changes soon.
“I’m a coach,” Trotz told CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada Radio. “That’s what I do and I got lots of juice right now.”
He’s giving consideration to any team that expresses an interest in him and it sounds like that list isn’t short. Washington, Carolina, and Florida have all reached out to Trotz, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. There’s also speculation that he might end up in Vancouver.
It’s likely that he’ll end up with a team that has more top-end forwards than Nashville did in 2013-14 — which admittedly isn’t saying much. It might lead to questions about how, for example, Alex Ovechkin will adjust to a defensive-minded coach, but Trotz would argue against that premise.
“I’ve been labeled as a defensive coach, but we’ve been built in the backend in Nashville,” Trotz said.
He believes that the system he coaches should be reflective of the talent he’s given. He has no problem playing a fast game if the roster warrants it. He pointed to the two campaigns that Nashville had Paul Kariya when the Predators ranked 11th and fifth in goals per game as evidence that his teams can be offensively minded.
We might see another example of that in 2014-15.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 45
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)