May 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz coached the Nashville Predators for 16 seasons before they decided to go in a different direction. It’s the only NHL team he’s ever been the bench boss of, but he’s hoping that changes soon.
“I’m a coach,” Trotz told CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada Radio. “That’s what I do and I got lots of juice right now.”
He’s giving consideration to any team that expresses an interest in him and it sounds like that list isn’t short. Washington, Carolina, and Florida have all reached out to Trotz, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger. There’s also speculation that he might end up in Vancouver.
It’s likely that he’ll end up with a team that has more top-end forwards than Nashville did in 2013-14 — which admittedly isn’t saying much. It might lead to questions about how, for example, Alex Ovechkin will adjust to a defensive-minded coach, but Trotz would argue against that premise.
“I’ve been labeled as a defensive coach, but we’ve been built in the backend in Nashville,” Trotz said.
He believes that the system he coaches should be reflective of the talent he’s given. He has no problem playing a fast game if the roster warrants it. He pointed to the two campaigns that Nashville had Paul Kariya when the Predators ranked 11th and fifth in goals per game as evidence that his teams can be offensively minded.
We might see another example of that in 2014-15.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)