May 9, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Andersen, who limped off the ice with 10 minutes left in Game 3 and wasn’t putting any weight on his right leg, is currently listed as day-to-day and there are question marks surrounding his availability for Saturday’s Game 4 at Staples Center.
If the Danish netminder can’t go, Hiller would start and Gibson — the highly-touted 20-year-old, currently playing with AHL Norfolk — would back up.
At least we think that’s how it would go.
There’s no telling exactly what will transpire, as Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau has changed goalies like socks this postseason. Andersen got all six starts in the opening round against Dallas but was yanked twice, including in the deciding Game 6 when Hiller came in with Anaheim down two goals, then stopped all 12 shots faced as the Ducks rallied to win in overtime.
That Game 6 effort got Hiller the nod in the first two games of the Kings series, though Boudreau was hardly complimentary in discussing Hiller’s play, saying the Swiss goalie’s Game 1 outing was “adequate.”
Then, for Game 3 of the Kings series, Boudreau went back to Andersen for, uh, a rather curious reason:
Boudreau said he looked at the career records for his goalies at Staples Center and that’s why he chose Andersen over Hiller.
— Cörey Masisak (@cmasisak22) May 9, 2014
So yeah. Best not to expect anything but the unexpected here.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)