May 9, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Andersen, who limped off the ice with 10 minutes left in Game 3 and wasn’t putting any weight on his right leg, is currently listed as day-to-day and there are question marks surrounding his availability for Saturday’s Game 4 at Staples Center.
If the Danish netminder can’t go, Hiller would start and Gibson — the highly-touted 20-year-old, currently playing with AHL Norfolk — would back up.
At least we think that’s how it would go.
There’s no telling exactly what will transpire, as Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau has changed goalies like socks this postseason. Andersen got all six starts in the opening round against Dallas but was yanked twice, including in the deciding Game 6 when Hiller came in with Anaheim down two goals, then stopped all 12 shots faced as the Ducks rallied to win in overtime.
That Game 6 effort got Hiller the nod in the first two games of the Kings series, though Boudreau was hardly complimentary in discussing Hiller’s play, saying the Swiss goalie’s Game 1 outing was “adequate.”
Then, for Game 3 of the Kings series, Boudreau went back to Andersen for, uh, a rather curious reason:
Boudreau said he looked at the career records for his goalies at Staples Center and that’s why he chose Andersen over Hiller.
— Cörey Masisak (@cmasisak22) May 9, 2014
So yeah. Best not to expect anything but the unexpected here.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)