May 9, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Cross another name off the NHL’s coaching candidacy list.
On Friday, Colorado College announced that former Chicago Blackhawks assistant and AHL Hershey bench boss Mike Haviland had accepted its head coaching position. Haviland, 46, won a Cup with Chicago as part of Joel Quenneville’s staff in 2010 and has spent the last two years in the American League, first as an associate coach in Norfolk before taking the Hershey gig last year.
Floated as a potential NHL head coaching candidate — online oddsmaker Bovada had him at 11/2 for the vacant Washington Capitals gig — Haviland is the second name to be crossed off the list this week; earlier, Peter Laviolette accepted the head coaching job in Nashville to become just the second bench boss in franchise history.
It’s worth noting that, in addition to coaching the Caps’ AHL affiliate last year, Haviland was rumored to be in the running for the head coaching gig in 2012 before it eventually went to Adam Oates.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)