May 9, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings announced that team executive Michael Futa has been promoted on Thursday. He’s been bumped up from being director of amateur scouting to vice president of hockey operations and director of player personnel.
In case you’re wondering, that isn’t a very long way of saying “assistant GM,” as Rob Blake holds that title. Still, it likely means that Futa is being rewarded for his work with the organization. This is currently his seventh full season with the Kings organization.
Here’s some background information regarding Futa from the Kings:
Futa is in his seventh full season with the Kings, after spending five successful seasons as General Manager of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Futa came to the Kings in 2006, when he was appointed Co-Director of Amateur Scouting along with Mark Yannetti. Together, Futa and Yannetti rebuilt and retooled the entire Kings Amateur Scouting staff to where it is today. Under Futa and Yannetti’s guidance, the Amateur Scouting staff has been responsible for building the Kings stable of top prospects which includes current Kings Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford, Alec Martinez, Slava Voynov, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan – all members of the 2012 Stanley Cup Championship team – as well as Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, Andrew Campbell, and former Kings Wayne Simmonds, Andrei Loktionov and Brayden Schenn. Jake Muzzin was also signed as a free agent by the Kings after the Amateur Scouting staff identified him as a top prospect.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 22
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 3
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)