May 9, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings announced that team executive Michael Futa has been promoted on Thursday. He’s been bumped up from being director of amateur scouting to vice president of hockey operations and director of player personnel.
In case you’re wondering, that isn’t a very long way of saying “assistant GM,” as Rob Blake holds that title. Still, it likely means that Futa is being rewarded for his work with the organization. This is currently his seventh full season with the Kings organization.
Here’s some background information regarding Futa from the Kings:
Futa is in his seventh full season with the Kings, after spending five successful seasons as General Manager of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Futa came to the Kings in 2006, when he was appointed Co-Director of Amateur Scouting along with Mark Yannetti. Together, Futa and Yannetti rebuilt and retooled the entire Kings Amateur Scouting staff to where it is today. Under Futa and Yannetti’s guidance, the Amateur Scouting staff has been responsible for building the Kings stable of top prospects which includes current Kings Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford, Alec Martinez, Slava Voynov, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan – all members of the 2012 Stanley Cup Championship team – as well as Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, Andrew Campbell, and former Kings Wayne Simmonds, Andrei Loktionov and Brayden Schenn. Jake Muzzin was also signed as a free agent by the Kings after the Amateur Scouting staff identified him as a top prospect.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)