May 9, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings announced that team executive Michael Futa has been promoted on Thursday. He’s been bumped up from being director of amateur scouting to vice president of hockey operations and director of player personnel.
In case you’re wondering, that isn’t a very long way of saying “assistant GM,” as Rob Blake holds that title. Still, it likely means that Futa is being rewarded for his work with the organization. This is currently his seventh full season with the Kings organization.
Here’s some background information regarding Futa from the Kings:
Futa is in his seventh full season with the Kings, after spending five successful seasons as General Manager of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Futa came to the Kings in 2006, when he was appointed Co-Director of Amateur Scouting along with Mark Yannetti. Together, Futa and Yannetti rebuilt and retooled the entire Kings Amateur Scouting staff to where it is today. Under Futa and Yannetti’s guidance, the Amateur Scouting staff has been responsible for building the Kings stable of top prospects which includes current Kings Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford, Alec Martinez, Slava Voynov, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan – all members of the 2012 Stanley Cup Championship team – as well as Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, Andrew Campbell, and former Kings Wayne Simmonds, Andrei Loktionov and Brayden Schenn. Jake Muzzin was also signed as a free agent by the Kings after the Amateur Scouting staff identified him as a top prospect.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)