May 9, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings announced that team executive Michael Futa has been promoted on Thursday. He’s been bumped up from being director of amateur scouting to vice president of hockey operations and director of player personnel.
In case you’re wondering, that isn’t a very long way of saying “assistant GM,” as Rob Blake holds that title. Still, it likely means that Futa is being rewarded for his work with the organization. This is currently his seventh full season with the Kings organization.
Here’s some background information regarding Futa from the Kings:
Futa is in his seventh full season with the Kings, after spending five successful seasons as General Manager of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Futa came to the Kings in 2006, when he was appointed Co-Director of Amateur Scouting along with Mark Yannetti. Together, Futa and Yannetti rebuilt and retooled the entire Kings Amateur Scouting staff to where it is today. Under Futa and Yannetti’s guidance, the Amateur Scouting staff has been responsible for building the Kings stable of top prospects which includes current Kings Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford, Alec Martinez, Slava Voynov, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan – all members of the 2012 Stanley Cup Championship team – as well as Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, Andrew Campbell, and former Kings Wayne Simmonds, Andrei Loktionov and Brayden Schenn. Jake Muzzin was also signed as a free agent by the Kings after the Amateur Scouting staff identified him as a top prospect.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)