May 9, 2014, 9:29 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings announced that team executive Michael Futa has been promoted on Thursday. He’s been bumped up from being director of amateur scouting to vice president of hockey operations and director of player personnel.
In case you’re wondering, that isn’t a very long way of saying “assistant GM,” as Rob Blake holds that title. Still, it likely means that Futa is being rewarded for his work with the organization. This is currently his seventh full season with the Kings organization.
Here’s some background information regarding Futa from the Kings:
Futa is in his seventh full season with the Kings, after spending five successful seasons as General Manager of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Futa came to the Kings in 2006, when he was appointed Co-Director of Amateur Scouting along with Mark Yannetti. Together, Futa and Yannetti rebuilt and retooled the entire Kings Amateur Scouting staff to where it is today. Under Futa and Yannetti’s guidance, the Amateur Scouting staff has been responsible for building the Kings stable of top prospects which includes current Kings Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford, Alec Martinez, Slava Voynov, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan – all members of the 2012 Stanley Cup Championship team – as well as Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Linden Vey, Andrew Campbell, and former Kings Wayne Simmonds, Andrei Loktionov and Brayden Schenn. Jake Muzzin was also signed as a free agent by the Kings after the Amateur Scouting staff identified him as a top prospect.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 0
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 69
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)