May 9, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
It wasn’t comfortable, but it was a win.
The Ducks did the business Thursday night at the Staples Center, surviving the loss of their starting goalie and a late charge from the Kings to win 3-2 and snap L.A’s six-game playoff win streak in the process.
The game was a virtual must-have for Anaheim, and the players responded as such. Leading goalscorer Corey Perry scored his first of the series just 4:05 into the game, converting a Patrick Maroon pass on the power play to give the Ducks a 1-0 lead.
The Kings tied it up early in the second when Jeff Carter scored his third of the playoffs, also on the power play, but the Ducks retook the lead at the 15:10 mark when the ageless wonder, Teemu Selanne, scored his 44th career playoff goal on — what else? — the power play.
Then came the third period, when the Ducks almost went south.
Starting netminder Frederik Andersen was forced from the game with just under 10 minutes remaining after suffering what appeared to be a lower-body injury. Andersen didn’t put any weight on his right leg upon exiting the ice, and Jonas Hiller — who started Games 1 and 2 of this series — was summoned from the bench.
Hiller got some breathing room at the 17:05 mark, when Ben Lovejoy sniped a high shot past Jonathan Quick to give the Ducks a seemingly comfortable 3-1 advantage. But with 31 seconds to go, Mike Richards batted home a Tanner Pearson rebound for his first goal of the postseason, making for a nervous final 30 seconds.
Thankfully for Anaheim, that would be it for dramatics as it held on and cut the Kings’ series lead to 2-1.
Maroon’s assist on the Perry goal was his sixth point in the last six games, making him first rookie to record a postseason point streak of at least six games since Warren Rychel did it for the Kings in 1993…With an assist tonight, Anze Kopitar became the first L.A. player to register a point in 10 straight playoff games since Wayne Gretzky…After starting the series 0-for-4 on the power play, the Ducks are now three for their last six with the man advantage.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)