May 9, 2014, 1:04 AM EST
It wasn’t comfortable, but it was a win.
The Ducks did the business Thursday night at the Staples Center, surviving the loss of their starting goalie and a late charge from the Kings to win 3-2 and snap L.A’s six-game playoff win streak in the process.
The game was a virtual must-have for Anaheim, and the players responded as such. Leading goalscorer Corey Perry scored his first of the series just 4:05 into the game, converting a Patrick Maroon pass on the power play to give the Ducks a 1-0 lead.
The Kings tied it up early in the second when Jeff Carter scored his third of the playoffs, also on the power play, but the Ducks retook the lead at the 15:10 mark when the ageless wonder, Teemu Selanne, scored his 44th career playoff goal on — what else? — the power play.
Then came the third period, when the Ducks almost went south.
Starting netminder Frederik Andersen was forced from the game with just under 10 minutes remaining after suffering what appeared to be a lower-body injury. Andersen didn’t put any weight on his right leg upon exiting the ice, and Jonas Hiller — who started Games 1 and 2 of this series — was summoned from the bench.
Hiller got some breathing room at the 17:05 mark, when Ben Lovejoy sniped a high shot past Jonathan Quick to give the Ducks a seemingly comfortable 3-1 advantage. But with 31 seconds to go, Mike Richards batted home a Tanner Pearson rebound for his first goal of the postseason, making for a nervous final 30 seconds.
Thankfully for Anaheim, that would be it for dramatics as it held on and cut the Kings’ series lead to 2-1.
Maroon’s assist on the Perry goal was his sixth point in the last six games, making him first rookie to record a postseason point streak of at least six games since Warren Rychel did it for the Kings in 1993…With an assist tonight, Anze Kopitar became the first L.A. player to register a point in 10 straight playoff games since Wayne Gretzky…After starting the series 0-for-4 on the power play, the Ducks are now three for their last six with the man advantage.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)