May 8, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
One team decided to get a jump on the Connor McDavid sweepstakes — albeit from across the Atlantic.
Medvescak Zagreb, a Croatian-based team in the KHL, took McDavid in the second round (77th overall) of the 2014 KHL Junior Draft, which was held on Thursday. Zagreb, which last year employed ex-NHLers Barry Brust, Mathieu Carle, Kurtis Foster and Jonathan Cheechoo, made the longshot move relatively early in the draft, using their second pick to secure McDavid’s KHL rights whereas teams in the past have taken similar fliers at much later stages of the process.
In 2013, Vityaz Podolsk took Aaron Ekblad with the fourth-to-last pick in the draft (171st overall). In 2012, Podolsk took Nathan McKinnon 114th overall and in 2011, Salavat Yulaev Ufa took Sean Couturier with the second-to-last overall pick.
McDavid, widely considered to be one of the top two picks at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, is coming off a regular season in which he scored 28 goals and 99 points in 56 games for OHL Erie.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)