May 8, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
One team decided to get a jump on the Connor McDavid sweepstakes — albeit from across the Atlantic.
Medvescak Zagreb, a Croatian-based team in the KHL, took McDavid in the second round (77th overall) of the 2014 KHL Junior Draft, which was held on Thursday. Zagreb, which last year employed ex-NHLers Barry Brust, Mathieu Carle, Kurtis Foster and Jonathan Cheechoo, made the longshot move relatively early in the draft, using their second pick to secure McDavid’s KHL rights whereas teams in the past have taken similar fliers at much later stages of the process.
In 2013, Vityaz Podolsk took Aaron Ekblad with the fourth-to-last pick in the draft (171st overall). In 2012, Podolsk took Nathan McKinnon 114th overall and in 2011, Salavat Yulaev Ufa took Sean Couturier with the second-to-last overall pick.
McDavid, widely considered to be one of the top two picks at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, is coming off a regular season in which he scored 28 goals and 99 points in 56 games for OHL Erie.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)