May 8, 2014, 1:58 PM EST
On Thursday, Columbus signed Oscar Dansk — the 31st overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — to a three-year, entry-level contract.
Dansk, 20, is considered to be one of the best young netminding prospects in hockey. He starred for Sweden at the 2014 World Juniors, earning Top Goaltender honors on the strength of a 1.79 GAA and .982 save percentage.
This past season, Dansk went 29-9-1 for OHL Erie, posting six shutouts with a 2.39 GAA and .909 save percentage. Along with fellow Otters goalie Devin Williams, Dansk captured the 2013-14 Dave Pinkney Trophy for the OHL’s top goaltending tandem.
While Sergei Bobrovsky is the club’s goalie of the present and future, there are opportunities for Dansk within the Columbus organization. Veterans Mike McKenna, Jeremy Smith and Curtis McElhinney are pending UFAs, leaving Dansk to battle with fellow youngsters Anton Forsberg and Joonas Korpisalo for minutes, presumably with AHL Springfield.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)