‘I was awful’ — Marty St. Louis laments Game 4 performance

May 8, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Rangers - Game Three Getty Images

How’s this for a candid assessment?

“This was probably the worst playoff game I’ve played as long as I can remember playing. For some reason, I couldn’t do anything. … I made poor plays and bad decisions. I have to forget about it and fight through it. I can’t go into a protection mode. I’ve got to be honest with myself. I was awful.”

That was Rangers forward Martin St. Louis, talking to the New York Post about his performance last night in a 4-2 loss to the Penguins.

St. Louis, 38, has not made the impact that was expected when the Rangers gave up Ryan Callahan, a first-rounder and a conditional second-rounder to get him out of Tampa Bay, where he had grown unhappy. In 19 regular-season games with the Rangers, he scored just once. And in 11 playoff games, he’s scored just twice, with no points in four contests against the Penguins.

Also remember that St. Louis is only signed through next season, and that just 10 players in the entire NHL are older than he is. For the Rangers, the trade with the Lightning was about winning now. Instead, they’re facing elimination in Game 5 of the second round.

Related: Slumping Rick Nash booed by Rangers fans

1. theageofquarrel - May 8, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Don’t worry Marty it will all be over soon.

• kingadrock99 - May 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Wow. There’s no need to go after his mother like that.

2. gnashty - May 8, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Sorry, anytime someone says “I was awful” makes me sit here and LOL and actually laugh out loud rather than stare at the screen and scratch my fromundercheese.

3. wishingtonredslur - May 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM

All of you were awful. I watched that game which was hard already because the Penguins uniforms are so very, very ugly, sometimes I adjust the tv color settings but it never gets better, then the Rangers go and play like Pittsburgh looks.

• hockeyfan1701 - May 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Wow, just when I think the comments could not be any less intelligent someone proves me wrong.

• jimeejohnson - May 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Zing!

4. gregman98 - May 8, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Jason: The score was 4-2; not 3-2.

• Jason Brough - May 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Thanks.

5. Florio's Lawyer - May 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM

the good news is, there are plenty of tee times available this time of year…

• thesportsjudge - May 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM

“Florio’s Lawyer”

If anyone knows about tee times, lawyers do! Well, maybe not as much as doctors, so maybe make another screen name “Florio’s Doctor”

• kingadrock99 - May 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Considering his mother just died, I don’t think he’s going to be golfing any time soon.

6. 19to77 - May 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Well, he’s not wrong. In the last two games I’ve seen him wire 3-4 passes literally right onto Pens players’ sticks in the offensive zone with no Ranger sticks even close to where he was aiming. The whole Rangers team was bad for giveaways and turnovers last night, but St. Louis has been especially noticeable because of how brilliant a playmaker he normally is – or was in a Bolts sweater anyway.

7. xdj511 - May 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Well Marty does seem to have a sense of self-awareness. It is one of the key indicators of sentience.

There was times last night that I wondered if he couldn’t remember if he had been traded to the Rangers or Pittsburgh, the way he was making tape-to-tape passes directly onto the sticks of Penguins players, skating in lazy circles as if unsure which goal to attack or defend.

If he at least appears to know that last night was bad, there is a chance that he can improve.

8. davepoulin - May 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Yep- you were and have been ever since you got here …isn’t Karma a wonderful thing….hahahaha

9. President Charles Logan - May 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

there’s no real science to this……. the rangers are getting beat by a better team clearly, …

• jimeejohnson - May 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM

You’re no sore loser. Thanks.

• President Charles Logan - May 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM

ok joey !

10. thesportsjudge - May 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Is this similar to Jagr/Bruins last year? Granted, some of the variables are VERY different.

11. muckleflugga - May 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM

watching st. louis, he looks like the guy who drops-in on a pick-up game involving really good hockey players … uninvited

no one on rangers seem to see him, and he’s not getting feeds … marty looks isolated on the bench … callahan is apparently missed by his former teammates more than st. louis is welcomed by his new

odd man out in a team clearly in dysfunction

• kingadrock99 - May 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Considering every player on the team has played like garbage this series aside from Lundqvist, St Louis not the only one. And Callahan went down in 4 straight, that’s pretty awful too.

12. thefutureofoil - May 9, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Question of the night:

“If you put Rick Nash and Marty St Louis in front of an empty net with 20 feet of open space around them…which circle is the faceoff in after Nash trips over his own skates and accidentally knocks the puck over to Marty who is distracted because the thinks he sees Stamkos in the crowd and accidentally shoots the puck off Nash’s prone ass and up into the crowd?”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches