May 8, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
How’s this for a candid assessment?
“This was probably the worst playoff game I’ve played as long as I can remember playing. For some reason, I couldn’t do anything. … I made poor plays and bad decisions. I have to forget about it and fight through it. I can’t go into a protection mode. I’ve got to be honest with myself. I was awful.”
St. Louis, 38, has not made the impact that was expected when the Rangers gave up Ryan Callahan, a first-rounder and a conditional second-rounder to get him out of Tampa Bay, where he had grown unhappy. In 19 regular-season games with the Rangers, he scored just once. And in 11 playoff games, he’s scored just twice, with no points in four contests against the Penguins.
Also remember that St. Louis is only signed through next season, and that just 10 players in the entire NHL are older than he is. For the Rangers, the trade with the Lightning was about winning now. Instead, they’re facing elimination in Game 5 of the second round.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)