May 8, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
How’s this for a candid assessment?
“This was probably the worst playoff game I’ve played as long as I can remember playing. For some reason, I couldn’t do anything. … I made poor plays and bad decisions. I have to forget about it and fight through it. I can’t go into a protection mode. I’ve got to be honest with myself. I was awful.”
St. Louis, 38, has not made the impact that was expected when the Rangers gave up Ryan Callahan, a first-rounder and a conditional second-rounder to get him out of Tampa Bay, where he had grown unhappy. In 19 regular-season games with the Rangers, he scored just once. And in 11 playoff games, he’s scored just twice, with no points in four contests against the Penguins.
Also remember that St. Louis is only signed through next season, and that just 10 players in the entire NHL are older than he is. For the Rangers, the trade with the Lightning was about winning now. Instead, they’re facing elimination in Game 5 of the second round.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)