May 8, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Tonight on NBCSN, it’s the Los Angeles Kings hosting the Anaheim Ducks starting at 10 p.m. ET. Following are some game notes, as compiled by the NHL on NBC research team:
• The Kings were down 0-3 in their 1st Round series vs. the Sharks and have now won 6 straight games, outscoring their opponents 24-8 in those games. With a win tonight, the Kings will become the first team in NHL history to win 7 straight games after trailing in a series 0-3 (Elias Sports Bureau).
• L.A. boasts the leading point-getter (Anze Kopitar – 14) & joint-leading goal-scorer (Marian Gaborik – 6, tied with Jussi Jokinen – PIT) so far this postseason. Kopitar is averaging 1.56 points/game this postseason – compared to .85 ppg during the regular season (led team) – while Gaborik is averaging
.67 goals/game – compared to his .27 goals/game during the regular season (CBJ/LA).
• After the Ducks averaged 3.33 goals/game in the 1st Round and scored 5+ goals (11 total) in Gms 5 & 6 of the 1st Round vs. DAL, the league’s highest scoring team during the regular season (3.21 goals/gm), has scored 3 goals in the first 2 games of this series.
• Kopitar – 1 assist in Game 2 – has 4 goals-10 assists during a 9-game point streak in these playoffs. Only one other player over the past 15 years has registered at least one point in each of his team’s first 9 games of the postseason: DET’s Johan Franzen, who found the score sheet in all 12 of the Red Wings’ games during the 2009-10 Stanley Cup Playoffs (6G-12A). (Elias Sports Bureau)
• Dating back to the regular season, Kopitar has 8goals-11assists during a 12-game point streak. Kopitar also has 5goals-11assists during a 10-game postseason point streak dating back to last season’s Game-5 loss to CHI in the Conference Finals.
• Marian Gaborik has 3 goals in this series; he scored the game-tying and OT-winning goal in Game 1 & also netted the 1st goal of Game 2, 34 seconds into the 1st period.
• The Kings recorded their 100th playoff victory in franchise history (100-129) with their Game 2 win. Anaheim holds a record of 62-50 all-time in postseason play.
• Jonathan Quick made 36 saves, including 15 in the 3rd period, in Game 2. After yielding 16 goals in his first 3 games this postseason, Quick has given up only 8 goals during the team’s 6-game winning streak.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13