May 8, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks are going with a different goalie in net … again.
After seeing Jonas Hiller put together sometimes “adequate” work in two losses to the Los Angeles Kings, Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau decided to go back to Frederik Andersen for Game 3 on Thursday. The Ducks are hoping to dig out of a 2-0 series deficit with the guy who began the playoffs as the starter (only to see Hiller take over when he struggled).
On one hand, one might consider Hiller’s struggles in Los Angeles:
Wow. No Jonas Hiller for Ducks. 0-5-2 lifetime at Staples Center. Only win in LA was at Dodger Stadium. Freddie Andersen in nets for Game 3—
Cam Cole (@rcamcole) May 09, 2014
Meanwhile, Andersen is 2-0 at the Staples Center …
From the other side, some may argue that Boudreau hasn’t displayed the deftest touch when it comes to handling his goalies.
Suffice it to say, this one is a massive call for Bruce Boudreau. As in it'd better work kinda call.—
Eric Stephens (@icemancometh) May 09, 2014
It’s plausible that the Ducks would encounter the same wins and losses whether it was Hiller or Andersen in net, but by shuffling up goalies, Boudreau is opening himself to second-guessing. It’ll be worth it if it works out, though.
- Report: Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 0
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 23
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 53
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)