May 8, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks are going with a different goalie in net … again.
After seeing Jonas Hiller put together sometimes “adequate” work in two losses to the Los Angeles Kings, Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau decided to go back to Frederik Andersen for Game 3 on Thursday. The Ducks are hoping to dig out of a 2-0 series deficit with the guy who began the playoffs as the starter (only to see Hiller take over when he struggled).
On one hand, one might consider Hiller’s struggles in Los Angeles:
Wow. No Jonas Hiller for Ducks. 0-5-2 lifetime at Staples Center. Only win in LA was at Dodger Stadium. Freddie Andersen in nets for Game 3—
Cam Cole (@rcamcole) May 09, 2014
Meanwhile, Andersen is 2-0 at the Staples Center …
From the other side, some may argue that Boudreau hasn’t displayed the deftest touch when it comes to handling his goalies.
Suffice it to say, this one is a massive call for Bruce Boudreau. As in it'd better work kinda call.—
Eric Stephens (@icemancometh) May 09, 2014
It’s plausible that the Ducks would encounter the same wins and losses whether it was Hiller or Andersen in net, but by shuffling up goalies, Boudreau is opening himself to second-guessing. It’ll be worth it if it works out, though.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)