May 8, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
When it became clear that Matt Fraser would appear in his first career playoff game for the Boston Bruins, he tried to downplay the obvious: his dream was coming true. Then again, maybe he was waiting for a more complete dream scenario: scoring the only goal of a playoff game … in overtime … to nab a huge Game 4 win for his team.
Fraser’s 1-0 OT goal ties the Bruins’ series against the Montreal Canadiens at 2-2.
The two teams will shift back to Boston for Game 5 and it’s difficult to imagine Fraser not being there. The 23-year-old seemed to find instant chemistry with Loui Eriksson and Carl Soderberg as their line was trumpeted as the Bruins’ best for much of a defensively rigid Game 4.
Bruins head coach Claude Julien could end up disagreeing, but it seems like Fraser’s first game will be more than just a Cinderella story.
Bruins slow the Habs’ attack
The Bruins managed to slow the Canadiens down through the first two periods in particular, keeping the likes of P.K. Subban quiet. The Habs really heated up in the third period, however, generating a 14-7 shot advantage and generally looking more aggressive.
The game headed into OT with bagels on the scoreboard in part because of near-misses, and Boston’s ability to reduce Subban’s chances.
As expected, there was a fair amount of physicality, including a big check by Douglas Murray on Shawn Thornton, a questionable hit by Jarome Iginla on Max Pacioretty and a boarding minor delivered by Alexei Emelin on David Krecji.
Here’s the hit on Pacioretty:
And here’s Emelin’s blow on Krejci:
As for the men between the pipes, they played a prominent role — as you’d expect in a 1-0 OT decision. Tuukka Rask made 33 saves for his first shutout of the series and second of the postseason while Carey Price was nearly as good, stopping 34 of 35 for a .971 save percentage.
The Bruins and Canadiens battle for a 3-2 series lead in Game 5 on Saturday. If it’s anything like tonight’s contest, there won’t be much room for errors … but maybe enough for another surprise hero to emerge.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)