May 8, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
When it became clear that Matt Fraser would appear in his first career playoff game for the Boston Bruins, he tried to downplay the obvious: his dream was coming true. Then again, maybe he was waiting for a more complete dream scenario: scoring the only goal of a playoff game … in overtime … to nab a huge Game 4 win for his team.
Fraser’s 1-0 OT goal ties the Bruins’ series against the Montreal Canadiens at 2-2.
The two teams will shift back to Boston for Game 5 and it’s difficult to imagine Fraser not being there. The 23-year-old seemed to find instant chemistry with Loui Eriksson and Carl Soderberg as their line was trumpeted as the Bruins’ best for much of a defensively rigid Game 4.
Bruins head coach Claude Julien could end up disagreeing, but it seems like Fraser’s first game will be more than just a Cinderella story.
Bruins slow the Habs’ attack
The Bruins managed to slow the Canadiens down through the first two periods in particular, keeping the likes of P.K. Subban quiet. The Habs really heated up in the third period, however, generating a 14-7 shot advantage and generally looking more aggressive.
The game headed into OT with bagels on the scoreboard in part because of near-misses, and Boston’s ability to reduce Subban’s chances.
As expected, there was a fair amount of physicality, including a big check by Douglas Murray on Shawn Thornton, a questionable hit by Jarome Iginla on Max Pacioretty and a boarding minor delivered by Alexei Emelin on David Krecji.
Here’s the hit on Pacioretty:
And here’s Emelin’s blow on Krejci:
As for the men between the pipes, they played a prominent role — as you’d expect in a 1-0 OT decision. Tuukka Rask made 33 saves for his first shutout of the series and second of the postseason while Carey Price was nearly as good, stopping 34 of 35 for a .971 save percentage.
The Bruins and Canadiens battle for a 3-2 series lead in Game 5 on Saturday. If it’s anything like tonight’s contest, there won’t be much room for errors … but maybe enough for another surprise hero to emerge.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
“If we can’t get up emotionally for that game, then I think we have to take a deeper look at ourselves.”
Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EST
Has appeared in 12 games for Minnesota this season.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Didn’t get the power-play time in Toronto.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM EST
“He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I can’t. But let’s talk.”
Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM EST
Norris candidate will sit after getting injured during Wednesday’s win over New Jersey; Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from AHL Adirondack.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Starting tonight in New Jersey.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:54 AM EST
Announced his retirement on Friday.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)