May 8, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
When it became clear that Matt Fraser would appear in his first career playoff game for the Boston Bruins, he tried to downplay the obvious: his dream was coming true. Then again, maybe he was waiting for a more complete dream scenario: scoring the only goal of a playoff game … in overtime … to nab a huge Game 4 win for his team.
Fraser’s 1-0 OT goal ties the Bruins’ series against the Montreal Canadiens at 2-2.
The two teams will shift back to Boston for Game 5 and it’s difficult to imagine Fraser not being there. The 23-year-old seemed to find instant chemistry with Loui Eriksson and Carl Soderberg as their line was trumpeted as the Bruins’ best for much of a defensively rigid Game 4.
Bruins head coach Claude Julien could end up disagreeing, but it seems like Fraser’s first game will be more than just a Cinderella story.
Bruins slow the Habs’ attack
The Bruins managed to slow the Canadiens down through the first two periods in particular, keeping the likes of P.K. Subban quiet. The Habs really heated up in the third period, however, generating a 14-7 shot advantage and generally looking more aggressive.
The game headed into OT with bagels on the scoreboard in part because of near-misses, and Boston’s ability to reduce Subban’s chances.
As expected, there was a fair amount of physicality, including a big check by Douglas Murray on Shawn Thornton, a questionable hit by Jarome Iginla on Max Pacioretty and a boarding minor delivered by Alexei Emelin on David Krecji.
Here’s the hit on Pacioretty:
And here’s Emelin’s blow on Krejci:
As for the men between the pipes, they played a prominent role — as you’d expect in a 1-0 OT decision. Tuukka Rask made 33 saves for his first shutout of the series and second of the postseason while Carey Price was nearly as good, stopping 34 of 35 for a .971 save percentage.
The Bruins and Canadiens battle for a 3-2 series lead in Game 5 on Saturday. If it’s anything like tonight’s contest, there won’t be much room for errors … but maybe enough for another surprise hero to emerge.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Apr 1, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
After scoring 16 points in 15 games.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
But that’s no longer the case.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”
Apr 1, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
After posting three straight 20-goal seasons.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
As most expected.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)