May 7, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Pure speculation on my part, absolute guesswork: Paul Holmgren said this week one of the reasons Vincent Lecavalier struggled is because Peter Laviolette, who recruited him, left, and Lecavalier wasn’t a fit in Craig Berube’s system. Is there a trade fit now that Laviolette is in Nashville? Flyers would probably have to eat a good chunk of his salary, but Holmgren and Poile have a history of getting deals done.
Similarly, from Sun Media’s Chris Stevenson:
Add to the equation two things — the front-office shakeup in Philly and David Poile’s admission that the Predators need a “big-time forward” to complement Nashville’s defense and goaltending — and, well, we’ve got ourselves a realistic rumor.
We wrote earlier in the week about Lecavalier’s “tough year,” which ended with the 34-year-old logging less than 10 minutes in four of the Flyers’ seven playoff games against the Rangers.
Lecavalier has four years remaining on his five-year contract, with a cap hit of $4.5 million. (His average salary in the next four seasons is a slightly lower $4.125 million, as he was paid $6 million in the first season.)
According to CapGeek, Lecavalier has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)