May 7, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Pure speculation on my part, absolute guesswork: Paul Holmgren said this week one of the reasons Vincent Lecavalier struggled is because Peter Laviolette, who recruited him, left, and Lecavalier wasn’t a fit in Craig Berube’s system. Is there a trade fit now that Laviolette is in Nashville? Flyers would probably have to eat a good chunk of his salary, but Holmgren and Poile have a history of getting deals done.
Similarly, from Sun Media’s Chris Stevenson:
Add to the equation two things — the front-office shakeup in Philly and David Poile’s admission that the Predators need a “big-time forward” to complement Nashville’s defense and goaltending — and, well, we’ve got ourselves a realistic rumor.
We wrote earlier in the week about Lecavalier’s “tough year,” which ended with the 34-year-old logging less than 10 minutes in four of the Flyers’ seven playoff games against the Rangers.
Lecavalier has four years remaining on his five-year contract, with a cap hit of $4.5 million. (His average salary in the next four seasons is a slightly lower $4.125 million, as he was paid $6 million in the first season.)
According to CapGeek, Lecavalier has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)