May 7, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Pure speculation on my part, absolute guesswork: Paul Holmgren said this week one of the reasons Vincent Lecavalier struggled is because Peter Laviolette, who recruited him, left, and Lecavalier wasn’t a fit in Craig Berube’s system. Is there a trade fit now that Laviolette is in Nashville? Flyers would probably have to eat a good chunk of his salary, but Holmgren and Poile have a history of getting deals done.
Similarly, from Sun Media’s Chris Stevenson:
Add to the equation two things — the front-office shakeup in Philly and David Poile’s admission that the Predators need a “big-time forward” to complement Nashville’s defense and goaltending — and, well, we’ve got ourselves a realistic rumor.
We wrote earlier in the week about Lecavalier’s “tough year,” which ended with the 34-year-old logging less than 10 minutes in four of the Flyers’ seven playoff games against the Rangers.
Lecavalier has four years remaining on his five-year contract, with a cap hit of $4.5 million. (His average salary in the next four seasons is a slightly lower $4.125 million, as he was paid $6 million in the first season.)
According to CapGeek, Lecavalier has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)