May 7, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Pure speculation on my part, absolute guesswork: Paul Holmgren said this week one of the reasons Vincent Lecavalier struggled is because Peter Laviolette, who recruited him, left, and Lecavalier wasn’t a fit in Craig Berube’s system. Is there a trade fit now that Laviolette is in Nashville? Flyers would probably have to eat a good chunk of his salary, but Holmgren and Poile have a history of getting deals done.
Similarly, from Sun Media’s Chris Stevenson:
Add to the equation two things — the front-office shakeup in Philly and David Poile’s admission that the Predators need a “big-time forward” to complement Nashville’s defense and goaltending — and, well, we’ve got ourselves a realistic rumor.
We wrote earlier in the week about Lecavalier’s “tough year,” which ended with the 34-year-old logging less than 10 minutes in four of the Flyers’ seven playoff games against the Rangers.
Lecavalier has four years remaining on his five-year contract, with a cap hit of $4.5 million. (His average salary in the next four seasons is a slightly lower $4.125 million, as he was paid $6 million in the first season.)
According to CapGeek, Lecavalier has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)