May 7, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins won their first round series, but they gave up a number of leads along the way and suffered some defensively lapses. Lately, there hasn’t been much to dislike about Pittsburgh’s performance.
They’re coming off back-to-back shutout wins and hold a 2-1 series lead over the New York Rangers. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma felt Game 2 on Sunday “may have been our most complete game in a lot of areas,” according to NHL.com.
Monday’s contest was a step back in some regards because of the amount of time Pittsburgh spent in its own end, but the Penguins still won cleanly on the strength of goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury‘s 35-save performance.
At the same time, the Penguins’ recent success might have been aided by the New York Rangers’ situation. Game 3 completed a stretch where the Rangers were forced to play in five contests over seven days. Rangers coach Alain Vigneault let his frustration show by blasting the schedule as “stupid.”
The Rangers got a much needed breather on Tuesday and they will resume their quest to snap their scoring slump tonight. A loss wouldn’t be fatal for them, but it would be a devastating setback.
The game will start at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN and can also be streamed online:
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)