May 7, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins won their first round series, but they gave up a number of leads along the way and suffered some defensively lapses. Lately, there hasn’t been much to dislike about Pittsburgh’s performance.
They’re coming off back-to-back shutout wins and hold a 2-1 series lead over the New York Rangers. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma felt Game 2 on Sunday “may have been our most complete game in a lot of areas,” according to NHL.com.
Monday’s contest was a step back in some regards because of the amount of time Pittsburgh spent in its own end, but the Penguins still won cleanly on the strength of goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury‘s 35-save performance.
At the same time, the Penguins’ recent success might have been aided by the New York Rangers’ situation. Game 3 completed a stretch where the Rangers were forced to play in five contests over seven days. Rangers coach Alain Vigneault let his frustration show by blasting the schedule as “stupid.”
The Rangers got a much needed breather on Tuesday and they will resume their quest to snap their scoring slump tonight. A loss wouldn’t be fatal for them, but it would be a devastating setback.
The game will start at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN and can also be streamed online:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)