May 7, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT
Brooks Orpik returned from an undisclosed injury tonight and didn’t waste any time before establishing his physical game, although he accomplished that by delivering a dangerous hit to Rangers forward Brad Richards.
Orpik pushed Richards into the boards next to the Penguins’ bench, smashing the Rangers forward’s head into the turnbuckle. You can see that hit below:
The Rangers took exception to that, but Richards didn’t suffer an injury and Orpik wasn’t penalized for his actions. The story might have been very different a few years ago, before the NHL put rounded glass there.
The league made that change after Montreal’s Max Pacioretty was slammed into the turnbuckle by Boston’s Zdeno Chara in 2011. The Canadiens forward suffered a broken vertebra and a severe concussion as a result of that incident.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)