May 7, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT
Brooks Orpik returned from an undisclosed injury tonight and didn’t waste any time before establishing his physical game, although he accomplished that by delivering a dangerous hit to Rangers forward Brad Richards.
Orpik pushed Richards into the boards next to the Penguins’ bench, smashing the Rangers forward’s head into the turnbuckle. You can see that hit below:
The Rangers took exception to that, but Richards didn’t suffer an injury and Orpik wasn’t penalized for his actions. The story might have been very different a few years ago, before the NHL put rounded glass there.
The league made that change after Montreal’s Max Pacioretty was slammed into the turnbuckle by Boston’s Zdeno Chara in 2011. The Canadiens forward suffered a broken vertebra and a severe concussion as a result of that incident.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)