May 7, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
On Tuesday, the United States Hockey League — the top junior circuit in America — concluded its 2014 Draft, a selection process that was filled with familiar hockey names.
Eetu Selanne, son of the NHL’s oldest player, Teemu, was selected by the expansion Madison Capitols while Chris Shero — who’s father, Ray, currently serves as the GM in Pittsburgh — was selected by the Des Moines Buccaneers.
As for other notable NHL surnames selected?
– Keiffer Bellows, son of Brian, was taken 13th overall by the Sioux Falls Stampede.
– Luke McInnis (son of Marty), and Ty Amonte (son of Tony) were taken by the Youngstown Phantoms.
– Callan Foote, son of Adam, was taken by the Omaha Lancers.
– Sean MacTavish, son of Craig, was taken by the Waterloo Black Hawks.
– Carter Woolley, son of Jason, was taken by the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
Earlier this year, Bellows and Graham McPhee — son of ex-Caps GM George — were selected to participate in the 2014 U.S. National Team Development Program camp. Other USNTDP invitees included Logan Brown, who’s father (Jeff) spent 12 years as an NHL defenseman.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 6
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 14
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)