May 7, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
On Tuesday, the United States Hockey League — the top junior circuit in America — concluded its 2014 Draft, a selection process that was filled with familiar hockey names.
Eetu Selanne, son of the NHL’s oldest player, Teemu, was selected by the expansion Madison Capitols while Chris Shero — who’s father, Ray, currently serves as the GM in Pittsburgh — was selected by the Des Moines Buccaneers.
As for other notable NHL surnames selected?
— Keiffer Bellows, son of Brian, was taken 13th overall by the Sioux Falls Stampede.
— Luke McInnis (son of Marty), and Ty Amonte (son of Tony) were taken by the Youngstown Phantoms.
— Callan Foote, son of Adam, was taken by the Omaha Lancers.
— Sean MacTavish, son of Craig, was taken by the Waterloo Black Hawks.
— Carter Woolley, son of Jason, was taken by the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
Earlier this year, Bellows and Graham McPhee — son of ex-Caps GM George — were selected to participate in the 2014 U.S. National Team Development Program camp. Other USNTDP invitees included Logan Brown, who’s father (Jeff) spent 12 years as an NHL defenseman.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)