May 7, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
On Tuesday, the United States Hockey League — the top junior circuit in America — concluded its 2014 Draft, a selection process that was filled with familiar hockey names.
Eetu Selanne, son of the NHL’s oldest player, Teemu, was selected by the expansion Madison Capitols while Chris Shero — who’s father, Ray, currently serves as the GM in Pittsburgh — was selected by the Des Moines Buccaneers.
As for other notable NHL surnames selected?
— Keiffer Bellows, son of Brian, was taken 13th overall by the Sioux Falls Stampede.
— Luke McInnis (son of Marty), and Ty Amonte (son of Tony) were taken by the Youngstown Phantoms.
— Callan Foote, son of Adam, was taken by the Omaha Lancers.
— Sean MacTavish, son of Craig, was taken by the Waterloo Black Hawks.
— Carter Woolley, son of Jason, was taken by the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
Earlier this year, Bellows and Graham McPhee — son of ex-Caps GM George — were selected to participate in the 2014 U.S. National Team Development Program camp. Other USNTDP invitees included Logan Brown, who’s father (Jeff) spent 12 years as an NHL defenseman.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)