Seidenberg: ‘I could probably play right now’

May 7, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT

dennisseidenbergetty Getty Images

Boston defenseman Dennis Seidenberg made some pretty interesting comments prior to Thursday’s Game 4 in Montreal.

“Yes, I’m feeling better,’’ Seidenberg said on Wednesday, per the Boston Globe. “I could probably play right now.’’

Seidenberg hasn’t played since tearing his ACL in late December. At first, the Bruins said he was done for the season, only to open the window for return ever so slightly in March, when GM Peter Chiarelli said the club wasn’t ruling Seidenberg out for the playoffs.

On Apr. 9, Seidenberg skated for the first time since surgery. Last week, he returned to practice with the full Bruins squad but didn’t participate in contact drills, and it still reportedly waiting for a green light to resume taking hits.

Though they’ve played well without him, the B’s could certainly use Seidenberg’s services, even as a motivational lift down 2-1 in the series. While he might be limited, Seidenber has emerged as a terrific shutdown defenseman and, during last year’s Stanley Cup run, was a vital contributor on Boston’s back end.

1. lowenni - May 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM

what

2. montrealbbr - May 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM

What a jerk!

• numbcracker2109 - May 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Trolled!

3. govtminion - May 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM

The fanboy in me is screaming to get him on the ice, because (with apologies to Chara) he’s probably the best stay-at-home defenseman on the Bruins roster when he’s healthy.

…and the realist in me says that’s the problem, because even if he’s HEALTHY enough to go, he hasn’t since Christmas- what kind of game shape is he in? And is he even healthy yet, or is he rushing things to get in during the playoffs?

Much as I’m a Seides fan, I’d rather he sit this out, get to 100% over the offseason, and be back next year rather than risk re-injuring himself.

• jcmeyer10 - May 7, 2014 at 7:23 PM

He’s a workout warrior. Whether that translates to on ice endurance remains to be seen. Zetterberg had it but was gassed by the end. Guessing that’s what would be the best case for Seids.

• lordstanley65 - May 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I agree. Screw it, we’ve gotten this far without him. Might as well live or die by the squad that’s here. It!’s not worth the risk.

• shaundre93 - May 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I disagree. Seids is in the same boat as Chara, the window to win is now or never. I think his current deal will be his last, and I think he would trade a couple years of his career for one last cup push. Its not that I, per say, want to see him risk the rest of his career, but I bet he would given the choice

4. shaundre93 - May 7, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Maybe this is why torey Krug played 4th line fwd at the end of the season… Maybe they will dress 7 D in one of these games coming up to see if he can handle it. Boy, could the B’s use seids right now, then they wouldn’t give up multiple breakaways.

5. slaugin - May 7, 2014 at 8:39 PM

The doctors would not OK him to play of the potential to re injure is high, if they say he’s good to go than by all means get your a$$ on the ice

6. dolanster - May 8, 2014 at 1:28 AM

I’ve had the same injury, and the potential to re-injure will always be higher than with an uninjured knee, but once it’s pain-free and feeling strong, then it’s as good as it’s gonna get (it’s never going to feel like it’s brand new). If he’s pain-free and passing strength and mobility tests without pain or stress, then waiting longer isn’t going to necessarily make it stronger. He could just as easily hurt his other knee as could anyone out there. Stamina and game-level speed and strength is the real issue after being out for 5+ months.

7. titansbro - May 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I’m torn on this one. Would obviously love to have him back. Any Bruins fan knows Seidenberg will be in top shape, maybe a bit rusty though. But I really would hate taking the risk of re-injury. Guess that’s what the team doctors are for. If they say it’s good, then get the Beast in there!

8. lombardisshineinfoxborough - May 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I know all teams have injuries, but it really kills me not have Seids and McQuaid out there for this series. If the doctors give him the green light then I say get him out there, he’s a difference maker even if not at 100%.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. J. Quick (1381)
  2. S. Bennett (1326)
  3. P. Rinne (1175)
  4. K. Timonen (1173)
  5. N. Niederreiter (1166)