May 7, 2014, 11:53 AM EST
Lucic, who was fined $5,000 earlier this postseason for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, appeared to jab Emelin in the stomach with about 12 minutes remaining in last night’s 4-2 loss — but wasn’t penalized on the play.
Here’s video of the incident:
And here’s more, from Sportsnet:
The Bruins forward acknowledged to reporters that he was a repeat offender when it came to spearing.
“I’ve been in the league for seven years, and I think I’ve only done that three times,” he said. “I don’t know why I did it.”
The NHL was aware of the latest incident, but no discipline hearing had been scheduled for Lucic as of late Wednesday morning, according to a source.
Lucic and Emelin have a long-standing rivalry, which began last season after Emelin was lost for the season with a torn ACL following a collision with the Boston forward.
This past March, the two were engaged in another set of incidents — the first occurred on Mar. 12, when Lucic nailed Emelin from behind on a hit.
The second was the aforementioned spear, which occurred two weeks later (though, at the time, Lucic denied it.) Following the game, Lucic called Emelin a “chicken” after Emelin threw a hip check that Lucic claimed was designed to “go after my knees.”
At the risk of downplaying one guy jabbing another guy in the tender vittles, this could fall under the category of stirred-up controversy, which Brough touched on yesterday.
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, there will be no hearing or fine for Lucic.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11