May 7, 2014, 11:53 AM EST
Lucic, who was fined $5,000 earlier this postseason for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, appeared to jab Emelin in the stomach with about 12 minutes remaining in last night’s 4-2 loss — but wasn’t penalized on the play.
Here’s video of the incident:
And here’s more, from Sportsnet:
The Bruins forward acknowledged to reporters that he was a repeat offender when it came to spearing.
“I’ve been in the league for seven years, and I think I’ve only done that three times,” he said. “I don’t know why I did it.”
The NHL was aware of the latest incident, but no discipline hearing had been scheduled for Lucic as of late Wednesday morning, according to a source.
Lucic and Emelin have a long-standing rivalry, which began last season after Emelin was lost for the season with a torn ACL following a collision with the Boston forward.
This past March, the two were engaged in another set of incidents — the first occurred on Mar. 12, when Lucic nailed Emelin from behind on a hit.
The second was the aforementioned spear, which occurred two weeks later (though, at the time, Lucic denied it.) Following the game, Lucic called Emelin a “chicken” after Emelin threw a hip check that Lucic claimed was designed to “go after my knees.”
At the risk of downplaying one guy jabbing another guy in the tender vittles, this could fall under the category of stirred-up controversy, which Brough touched on yesterday.
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, there will be no hearing or fine for Lucic.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)