May 7, 2014, 11:53 AM EST
Lucic, who was fined $5,000 earlier this postseason for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, appeared to jab Emelin in the stomach with about 12 minutes remaining in last night’s 4-2 loss — but wasn’t penalized on the play.
Here’s video of the incident:
And here’s more, from Sportsnet:
The Bruins forward acknowledged to reporters that he was a repeat offender when it came to spearing.
“I’ve been in the league for seven years, and I think I’ve only done that three times,” he said. “I don’t know why I did it.”
The NHL was aware of the latest incident, but no discipline hearing had been scheduled for Lucic as of late Wednesday morning, according to a source.
Lucic and Emelin have a long-standing rivalry, which began last season after Emelin was lost for the season with a torn ACL following a collision with the Boston forward.
This past March, the two were engaged in another set of incidents — the first occurred on Mar. 12, when Lucic nailed Emelin from behind on a hit.
The second was the aforementioned spear, which occurred two weeks later (though, at the time, Lucic denied it.) Following the game, Lucic called Emelin a “chicken” after Emelin threw a hip check that Lucic claimed was designed to “go after my knees.”
At the risk of downplaying one guy jabbing another guy in the tender vittles, this could fall under the category of stirred-up controversy, which Brough touched on yesterday.
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, there will be no hearing or fine for Lucic.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 59
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (94)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)