May 7, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
Lucic, who was fined $5,000 earlier this postseason for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, appeared to jab Emelin in the stomach with about 12 minutes remaining in last night’s 4-2 loss — but wasn’t penalized on the play.
Here’s video of the incident:
And here’s more, from Sportsnet:
The Bruins forward acknowledged to reporters that he was a repeat offender when it came to spearing.
“I’ve been in the league for seven years, and I think I’ve only done that three times,” he said. “I don’t know why I did it.”
The NHL was aware of the latest incident, but no discipline hearing had been scheduled for Lucic as of late Wednesday morning, according to a source.
Lucic and Emelin have a long-standing rivalry, which began last season after Emelin was lost for the season with a torn ACL following a collision with the Boston forward.
This past March, the two were engaged in another set of incidents — the first occurred on Mar. 12, when Lucic nailed Emelin from behind on a hit.
The second was the aforementioned spear, which occurred two weeks later (though, at the time, Lucic denied it.) Following the game, Lucic called Emelin a “chicken” after Emelin threw a hip check that Lucic claimed was designed to “go after my knees.”
At the risk of downplaying one guy jabbing another guy in the tender vittles, this could fall under the category of stirred-up controversy, which Brough touched on yesterday.
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, there will be no hearing or fine for Lucic.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)