May 7, 2014, 11:53 AM EDT
Lucic, who was fined $5,000 earlier this postseason for spearing Detroit’s Danny DeKeyser, appeared to jab Emelin in the stomach with about 12 minutes remaining in last night’s 4-2 loss — but wasn’t penalized on the play.
Here’s video of the incident:
And here’s more, from Sportsnet:
The Bruins forward acknowledged to reporters that he was a repeat offender when it came to spearing.
“I’ve been in the league for seven years, and I think I’ve only done that three times,” he said. “I don’t know why I did it.”
The NHL was aware of the latest incident, but no discipline hearing had been scheduled for Lucic as of late Wednesday morning, according to a source.
Lucic and Emelin have a long-standing rivalry, which began last season after Emelin was lost for the season with a torn ACL following a collision with the Boston forward.
This past March, the two were engaged in another set of incidents — the first occurred on Mar. 12, when Lucic nailed Emelin from behind on a hit.
The second was the aforementioned spear, which occurred two weeks later (though, at the time, Lucic denied it.) Following the game, Lucic called Emelin a “chicken” after Emelin threw a hip check that Lucic claimed was designed to “go after my knees.”
At the risk of downplaying one guy jabbing another guy in the tender vittles, this could fall under the category of stirred-up controversy, which Brough touched on yesterday.
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, there will be no hearing or fine for Lucic.
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 13
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 13
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 32
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)