May 7, 2014, 12:33 PM EST
The New York Rangers could be getting a big lineup presence back for tonight’s Game 4 versus Pittsburgh.
Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault wasn’t offering much in the way of status updates at this morning’s skate, however. He said the 23-year-old was still “day-to-day” and wouldn’t give any insight if Kreider would be on his lineup card for tonight’s big game.
New York could certainly use him, though.
The Rangers have failed to score in consecutive games and while Kreider doesn’t have much playoff experience, he does have a history of scoring playoff goals — in 2012, he jumped straight from Boston College to the Stanley Cup playoffs and broke a 59-year-old record by scoring the most postseason goals (five) before playing a regular-season NHL game.
Where Kreider could really help is on the power play, as the Rangers have failed to score on their last 30 man advantage opportunities.
“(His) size and speed obviously would put pressure on (the Penguins) defense. Obviously Kreids was really good with the net presence on the power play. Him and (Benoit Pouliot), when we were using both of those guys on different units, we were doing a good job there,” Vigneault said, per the New York Daily News. “He would definitely bring a lot to our lineup. There’s no doubt there.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 16
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (132)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)