May 7, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
In his first period since April 23, Orpik logged 5:15 minutes, was on the ice for teammate Evgeni Malkin‘s goal, blocked two shots, and delivered two hits, including a particularly fierce one against Rangers forward Brad Richards.
That might be it though as Orpik wasn’t on the bench when the second period started. If he’s not able to return, the Penguins will be forced to use five defensemen for the remainder of the contest.
The 33-year-old defenseman might have suffered a setback, but that’s just speculation at this point. It’s worth noting though that he didn’t participate in a full practice before returning, per the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Update: It looks like Orpik might have hurt his knee, which would be a new injury for him, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Update 2: The Penguins have confirmed that Orpik’s current ailment is separate from his previous injury.
I've watched Orpik skate a lot the last few days. Hasn't looked 100 percent. Was surprised he dressed tonight.
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 8, 2014
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6