May 7, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
In his first period since April 23, Orpik logged 5:15 minutes, was on the ice for teammate Evgeni Malkin‘s goal, blocked two shots, and delivered two hits, including a particularly fierce one against Rangers forward Brad Richards.
That might be it though as Orpik wasn’t on the bench when the second period started. If he’s not able to return, the Penguins will be forced to use five defensemen for the remainder of the contest.
The 33-year-old defenseman might have suffered a setback, but that’s just speculation at this point. It’s worth noting though that he didn’t participate in a full practice before returning, per the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Update: It looks like Orpik might have hurt his knee, which would be a new injury for him, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Update 2: The Penguins have confirmed that Orpik’s current ailment is separate from his previous injury.
I've watched Orpik skate a lot the last few days. Hasn't looked 100 percent. Was surprised he dressed tonight.
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 8, 2014
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)