May 7, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
In his first period since April 23, Orpik logged 5:15 minutes, was on the ice for teammate Evgeni Malkin‘s goal, blocked two shots, and delivered two hits, including a particularly fierce one against Rangers forward Brad Richards.
That might be it though as Orpik wasn’t on the bench when the second period started. If he’s not able to return, the Penguins will be forced to use five defensemen for the remainder of the contest.
The 33-year-old defenseman might have suffered a setback, but that’s just speculation at this point. It’s worth noting though that he didn’t participate in a full practice before returning, per the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Update: It looks like Orpik might have hurt his knee, which would be a new injury for him, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Update 2: The Penguins have confirmed that Orpik’s current ailment is separate from his previous injury.
I've watched Orpik skate a lot the last few days. Hasn't looked 100 percent. Was surprised he dressed tonight.
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 8, 2014
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 30
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)