May 7, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
In his first period since April 23, Orpik logged 5:15 minutes, was on the ice for teammate Evgeni Malkin‘s goal, blocked two shots, and delivered two hits, including a particularly fierce one against Rangers forward Brad Richards.
That might be it though as Orpik wasn’t on the bench when the second period started. If he’s not able to return, the Penguins will be forced to use five defensemen for the remainder of the contest.
The 33-year-old defenseman might have suffered a setback, but that’s just speculation at this point. It’s worth noting though that he didn’t participate in a full practice before returning, per the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Update: It looks like Orpik might have hurt his knee, which would be a new injury for him, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Update 2: The Penguins have confirmed that Orpik’s current ailment is separate from his previous injury.
I've watched Orpik skate a lot the last few days. Hasn't looked 100 percent. Was surprised he dressed tonight.
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) May 8, 2014
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)