May 7, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
One of the longest-tenured coaches in the American Hockey League is no longer.
Mark Morris, the bench boss for Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester since 2006, has been relieved of his duties by Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
“We appreciate the job Mark has done for us in Manchester,” Lombardi said in a statement. “The team’s success on the ice during his tenure and his contributions in helping prepare our young players to be successful at the NHL level have been key contributors to the success of our organization as a whole.
“These ideals will continue to be a priority for us going forward and we wish Mark the utmost success as there is no doubt he is ready for the next step in his career.”
During his time with the Los Angeles organization, Morris played a key role in the development of a number of current players. Jonathan Quick, Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan, Martin Jones, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson all played for Morris in Manchester prior to debuting for the Kings.
Morris leaves the organization as the winningest and longest-tenured coach in Manchester history. Interesting note here from Rich Hammond of the L.A. Register:
Kings have let go Mark Morris as AHL coach in Manchester. In 2005, they did the same to current Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau
— Rich Hammond (@Rich_Hammond) May 7, 2014
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 2
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)