May 7, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
One of the longest-tenured coaches in the American Hockey League is no longer.
Mark Morris, the bench boss for Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester since 2006, has been relieved of his duties by Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
“We appreciate the job Mark has done for us in Manchester,” Lombardi said in a statement. “The team’s success on the ice during his tenure and his contributions in helping prepare our young players to be successful at the NHL level have been key contributors to the success of our organization as a whole.
“These ideals will continue to be a priority for us going forward and we wish Mark the utmost success as there is no doubt he is ready for the next step in his career.”
During his time with the Los Angeles organization, Morris played a key role in the development of a number of current players. Jonathan Quick, Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan, Martin Jones, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson all played for Morris in Manchester prior to debuting for the Kings.
Morris leaves the organization as the winningest and longest-tenured coach in Manchester history. Interesting note here from Rich Hammond of the L.A. Register:
Kings have let go Mark Morris as AHL coach in Manchester. In 2005, they did the same to current Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau
— Rich Hammond (@Rich_Hammond) May 7, 2014
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 3
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)