May 7, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
One of the longest-tenured coaches in the American Hockey League is no longer.
Mark Morris, the bench boss for Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester since 2006, has been relieved of his duties by Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
“We appreciate the job Mark has done for us in Manchester,” Lombardi said in a statement. “The team’s success on the ice during his tenure and his contributions in helping prepare our young players to be successful at the NHL level have been key contributors to the success of our organization as a whole.
“These ideals will continue to be a priority for us going forward and we wish Mark the utmost success as there is no doubt he is ready for the next step in his career.”
During his time with the Los Angeles organization, Morris played a key role in the development of a number of current players. Jonathan Quick, Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan, Martin Jones, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson all played for Morris in Manchester prior to debuting for the Kings.
Morris leaves the organization as the winningest and longest-tenured coach in Manchester history. Interesting note here from Rich Hammond of the L.A. Register:
Kings have let go Mark Morris as AHL coach in Manchester. In 2005, they did the same to current Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau
— Rich Hammond (@Rich_Hammond) May 7, 2014
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)