May 7, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
One of the longest-tenured coaches in the American Hockey League is no longer.
Mark Morris, the bench boss for Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester since 2006, has been relieved of his duties by Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
“We appreciate the job Mark has done for us in Manchester,” Lombardi said in a statement. “The team’s success on the ice during his tenure and his contributions in helping prepare our young players to be successful at the NHL level have been key contributors to the success of our organization as a whole.
“These ideals will continue to be a priority for us going forward and we wish Mark the utmost success as there is no doubt he is ready for the next step in his career.”
During his time with the Los Angeles organization, Morris played a key role in the development of a number of current players. Jonathan Quick, Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan, Martin Jones, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson all played for Morris in Manchester prior to debuting for the Kings.
Morris leaves the organization as the winningest and longest-tenured coach in Manchester history. Interesting note here from Rich Hammond of the L.A. Register:
Kings have let go Mark Morris as AHL coach in Manchester. In 2005, they did the same to current Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau
— Rich Hammond (@Rich_Hammond) May 7, 2014
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)