May 7, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
One of the longest-tenured coaches in the American Hockey League is no longer.
Mark Morris, the bench boss for Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester since 2006, has been relieved of his duties by Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
“We appreciate the job Mark has done for us in Manchester,” Lombardi said in a statement. “The team’s success on the ice during his tenure and his contributions in helping prepare our young players to be successful at the NHL level have been key contributors to the success of our organization as a whole.
“These ideals will continue to be a priority for us going forward and we wish Mark the utmost success as there is no doubt he is ready for the next step in his career.”
During his time with the Los Angeles organization, Morris played a key role in the development of a number of current players. Jonathan Quick, Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan, Martin Jones, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson all played for Morris in Manchester prior to debuting for the Kings.
Morris leaves the organization as the winningest and longest-tenured coach in Manchester history. Interesting note here from Rich Hammond of the L.A. Register:
Kings have let go Mark Morris as AHL coach in Manchester. In 2005, they did the same to current Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau
— Rich Hammond (@Rich_Hammond) May 7, 2014
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 29
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 89
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)