May 7, 2014, 1:03 AM EDT
There had been uncertainty around the future of Kirk Muller with the Carolina Hurricanes for some time.
So Monday’s announcement that he had lost his job as the team’s head coach didn’t quite come as a surprise.
“It wasn’t like we lost the night before and came in the next day and boom, you’re gone,” Muller told the Raleigh News and Observer newspaper. “There was a three-week period of weighing what way it’s going to go. I was prepared for it.”
The Hurricanes finished well out of the playoff picture in the Eastern Conference, placing 13th. The franchise’s last playoff berth came in 2009.
With the firing of Muller and most of his staff – John MacLean and Dave Lewis – the Hurricanes are now in the midst of a “fresh start,” which is a phrase new general manager Ron Francis used often when addressing the franchise’s move on Monday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)