May 7, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
“I like young players and I like draft picks.”
If there was one notable thing Ron Hextall said today at his first press conference as Flyers general manager, that might’ve been it.
Philadelphia, after all, was home this season to a number of high-priced veterans in the latter stages of their careers, like Vincent Lecavalier (34 years old), Kimmo Timonen (39), and Mark Streit (36).
And outside of Sean Couturier, the Flyers don’t have a player they drafted after 2006 that’s played a significant role with the club. The young roster players they do have — like Wayne Simmonds, Jakub Voracek, and Brayden Schenn — were acquired by Paul Holmgren, now Philadelphia’s president, in trades.
“My vision is to build this team and to continue to make this team better through the draft,” said Hextall, per CSN Philly. “That doesn’t mean we won’t make trades. At some point if it’s a good enough player, and we’ve got to trade a young player, we may look at that. But it’s not a vision of mine to trade young players for older players. It would have to be a really, really strong deal for us.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)