May 7, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
“I like young players and I like draft picks.”
If there was one notable thing Ron Hextall said today at his first press conference as Flyers general manager, that might’ve been it.
Philadelphia, after all, was home this season to a number of high-priced veterans in the latter stages of their careers, like Vincent Lecavalier (34 years old), Kimmo Timonen (39), and Mark Streit (36).
And outside of Sean Couturier, the Flyers don’t have a player they drafted after 2006 that’s played a significant role with the club. The young roster players they do have — like Wayne Simmonds, Jakub Voracek, and Brayden Schenn — were acquired by Paul Holmgren, now Philadelphia’s president, in trades.
“My vision is to build this team and to continue to make this team better through the draft,” said Hextall, per CSN Philly. “That doesn’t mean we won’t make trades. At some point if it’s a good enough player, and we’ve got to trade a young player, we may look at that. But it’s not a vision of mine to trade young players for older players. It would have to be a really, really strong deal for us.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)