May 7, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
“I like young players and I like draft picks.”
If there was one notable thing Ron Hextall said today at his first press conference as Flyers general manager, that might’ve been it.
Philadelphia, after all, was home this season to a number of high-priced veterans in the latter stages of their careers, like Vincent Lecavalier (34 years old), Kimmo Timonen (39), and Mark Streit (36).
And outside of Sean Couturier, the Flyers don’t have a player they drafted after 2006 that’s played a significant role with the club. The young roster players they do have — like Wayne Simmonds, Jakub Voracek, and Brayden Schenn — were acquired by Paul Holmgren, now Philadelphia’s president, in trades.
“My vision is to build this team and to continue to make this team better through the draft,” said Hextall, per CSN Philly. “That doesn’t mean we won’t make trades. At some point if it’s a good enough player, and we’ve got to trade a young player, we may look at that. But it’s not a vision of mine to trade young players for older players. It would have to be a really, really strong deal for us.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)