May 7, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Thomas Steen, a 14-year NHL veteran whose son, Alex, currently plays for St. Louis, is facing assault charges stemming from an incident at a Winnipeg restaurant last week.
Per reports, Steen has yet to be formally charged but did turn himself into police, who released him on a promise to appear.
Steen, who spent his entire NHL career with the Jets, is now a Winnipeg city councilor and part of his role was serving as one of two council representatives on the city’s police board, a position he’s held since 2010. But following this incident, Steen has reportedly been prevented from attending meetings or participating in decision-making.
Here’s more, from the Winnipeg Free Press:
“Dear Council Colleagues: In response to allegations in recent media reports I would like to advise you that I will be taking some time to deal with a private personal matter,” said Steen, in an emailed statement to other members of council.
The former Winnipeg Jet star centre is facing an assault charge following an incident last week at a city restaurant, the Free Press first reported this morning.
He allegedly got into a dispute May 1 at the Boston Pizza location on McPhillips Street. A woman known to Steen reported she was assaulted and contacted police, who authorized a charge following a brief investigation.
Steen, 53, will be forced to resign from the police board if he is convicted, according to chairman Scott Fielding.
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 1
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 3
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)