May 7, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
Dallas Stars assistant coach James Patrick was arrested and charged with assault after a domestic incident last week, the Morning-News reports.
Patrick, 50, was charged with assault after he shoved his girlfriend during an argument about the contents of his phone, police said.
Patrick got to his home in the 9100 block of Chapel Valley Road around 1:20 a.m. April 30. His girlfriend told police Patrick smelled like alcohol and was covered in vomit, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.
The woman helped Patrick undress but then confronted him after she saw several “inappropriate text messages” from another woman on his phone, the warrant says.
They began to wrestle over the phone, and Patrick grabbed the woman’s throat and pushed her face into the bathroom faucet, police said. She suffered a cut on her lower lip during the incident.
Patrick recently wrapped his first season in Dallas as an assistant under Lindy Ruff. Prior to the Stars gig, Patrick had spent the majority of his professional career in Buffalo, playing with the Sabres from 1999-2004 before getting hired as as Ruff’s assistant in 2006.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40