May 7, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
San Jose forward Logan Couture has had some time to digest the fact that the Sharks were eliminated because they blew a 3-0 series lead in the first round to the Los Angeles Kings. That hasn’t helped.
“It’s still devastating,” Couture told CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada Radio. “It doesn’t get any easier. It’s been impossible to watch anymore hockey since we lost.”
He’s someone that badly wants to win and despite all the talent on San Jose’s roster, that hasn’t happened in his five NHL seasons. Every year he watches the last game of the Stanley Cup Final and when he sees the Cup come out, he feels jealous. That’s usually when he turns off the television rather than watch the ceremony.
“Something’s got to change,” Couture said. That might mean that guys get traded, but he feels the Sharks players, including himself, deserve whatever happens after they failed to get the job done.
The one thing that he would add is that the buck should stop with the players.
“I hate when people blame coaching staffs,” Couture said. “I hate when they blame general managers. It’s on the players that go out there and to win hockey games.”
Going forward, he will try to use this setback as motivation and he remains optimistic that the team will emerge stronger. Meanwhile, he plans to work on his personal strength, particularly when it comes to the wrist that he injured.
He missed 16 contests before returning on Feb. 27, but he admitted that he returned early and is still sore. He’ll rest the wrist for now, but he plans to strengthen that area over the summer and add a few pounds in general.
He doesn’t think he’ll ever get over how this year ended, although he might change his mind if he finally gets to be with the Cup instead of just seeing it on TV.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)