May 7, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
San Jose forward Logan Couture has had some time to digest the fact that the Sharks were eliminated because they blew a 3-0 series lead in the first round to the Los Angeles Kings. That hasn’t helped.
“It’s still devastating,” Couture told CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada Radio. “It doesn’t get any easier. It’s been impossible to watch anymore hockey since we lost.”
He’s someone that badly wants to win and despite all the talent on San Jose’s roster, that hasn’t happened in his five NHL seasons. Every year he watches the last game of the Stanley Cup Final and when he sees the Cup come out, he feels jealous. That’s usually when he turns off the television rather than watch the ceremony.
“Something’s got to change,” Couture said. That might mean that guys get traded, but he feels the Sharks players, including himself, deserve whatever happens after they failed to get the job done.
The one thing that he would add is that the buck should stop with the players.
“I hate when people blame coaching staffs,” Couture said. “I hate when they blame general managers. It’s on the players that go out there and to win hockey games.”
Going forward, he will try to use this setback as motivation and he remains optimistic that the team will emerge stronger. Meanwhile, he plans to work on his personal strength, particularly when it comes to the wrist that he injured.
He missed 16 contests before returning on Feb. 27, but he admitted that he returned early and is still sore. He’ll rest the wrist for now, but he plans to strengthen that area over the summer and add a few pounds in general.
He doesn’t think he’ll ever get over how this year ended, although he might change his mind if he finally gets to be with the Cup instead of just seeing it on TV.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Veteran d-man spent the last five years in Minnesota.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
“I don’t want to draw too many comparisons to last year, but with this system we’re going to be able to engage in the battle.”
Oct 2, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
“I don’t take for granted I’m going to be on this team.”
Oct 2, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Ken Hitchcock says the “playoffs tell you everything.” So what does that say about the Blues?
Oct 2, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Seventh overall pick at ’14 draft is headed to WHL Red Deer.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
They’re betting on him lasting longer than Spezza.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
They didn’t want another top forward to slip away.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Toronto signed him to a three-year deal in July.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
A few tough breaks and the optimism is eroding a bit.
Oct 2, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
That brings the Penguins’ roster down to 31 players.
Oct 2, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
He may begin 2014-15 banged up.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
The early word is that he’s OK, though.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Worth a try.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
According to fellow Swede and Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
One last chance for a tune-up.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 5
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 16
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (24)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)