May 7, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
It’s a series now.
The Minnesota Wild ensured this Western Conference second-round best-of-seven series will go a minimum of five games, courtesy a 4-0 win over the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 3 on Tuesday. Just like that, the Wild is back in it, and have a chance to even this up on home ice on Friday.
The Blackhawks, after the two teams battled through a scoreless tie for 40 minutes in Game 3, failed to capitalize on this opportunity to put the Wild down even further. They can’t let another chance get away from them.
Chicago’s top players were held in check throughout most of the night. Toews finished with just two shots on Ilya Bryzgalov, who posted his first Stanley Cup playoffs shutout since May of 2006. Patrick Kane had just one shot on goal.
The Wild checked the Blackhawks hard through two periods. It paid off in the third, as Minnesota came alive with four goals, including a pair from Mikael Granlund.
“They tend to play that game once in a while, where they like to shut things down and put you to sleep,” said Chicago’s goalie Corey Crawford.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)