May 7, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
It’s a series now.
The Minnesota Wild ensured this Western Conference second-round best-of-seven series will go a minimum of five games, courtesy a 4-0 win over the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 3 on Tuesday. Just like that, the Wild is back in it, and have a chance to even this up on home ice on Friday.
The Blackhawks, after the two teams battled through a scoreless tie for 40 minutes in Game 3, failed to capitalize on this opportunity to put the Wild down even further. They can’t let another chance get away from them.
Chicago’s top players were held in check throughout most of the night. Toews finished with just two shots on Ilya Bryzgalov, who posted his first Stanley Cup playoffs shutout since May of 2006. Patrick Kane had just one shot on goal.
The Wild checked the Blackhawks hard through two periods. It paid off in the third, as Minnesota came alive with four goals, including a pair from Mikael Granlund.
“They tend to play that game once in a while, where they like to shut things down and put you to sleep,” said Chicago’s goalie Corey Crawford.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)