May 6, 2014, 11:43 PM EST
For two periods, it seemed the Minnesota Wild and Chicago Blackhawks were content with a tight-checking game devoid of much pace or excitement. Then the third period started. Did things ever change quickly.
The Wild, after failing to rise to the occasion during the first two games of this series in Chicago, came alive in the third period of Game 3 on Tuesday, erupting for a quartet of goals. Erik Haula and Mikael Granlund scored less than three minutes apart early in the period to open up a lead for the Wild, and Minnesota captured a 4-0 victory to cut Chicago’s series lead to 2-1.
Ilya Bryzgalov picked up his first Stanley Cup playoff shutout since 2006, when he posted three consecutive goose eggs as a member of the Anaheim Ducks. The last of those shutouts came May 7, 2006, according to NHL.com. Talk about timing.
Bryzgalov made 19 saves, atoning for an individual eight consecutive losses in playoff starts, dating back to May of 2012.
There were anxious moments for the Wild, despite the win. Ryan Suter, the Wild’s anchor on the blue line, briefly left the game in the second period after an awkward fall with Chicago forward Marian Hossa. Suter went off to the dressing room, but did return for the third period.
Wild head coach Mike Yeo said he was told Suter’s injury was “nothing serious,” as per Chad Graff of the Pioneer Press.
The Minnesota win ensures the series goes beyond four games, and now the Wild will have a chance to even this one up on Friday.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:35 AM EST
Has appeared in five games with Chicago this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
Forsberg scores the OT winner.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
Shea Weber covered the puck in the crease.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Flyers play host to the Rangers Friday afternoon.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Was a healthy scratch in nine games.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
X-rays on knee cap came back negative.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)