May 6, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
A lot of things went poorly for the Boston Bruins in the first period, but their biggest hope might be that Zdeno Chara is OK after leaving the ice after a slash on his hand.
No doubt about it, Chara returned, but the question is how limited the enormous defenseman will be if he’s not 100 percent. The slash itself looked innocuous enough (at least in “chippy playoff” terms), but judge for yourself:
It’s easy to over-analyze actions right after a player comes back from injury, but at least one shot attempt left people wondering about Chara:
With the Montreal Canadiens’ own star defender P.K. Subban running wild early in Game 3, the Bruins must hope for Big Z’s best. Losing that record-breaking slapper could smart, especially in a tough road game against Montreal (and beyond?).
The Bruins aren’t likely to be forthcoming about how Chara is really feeling, so we’ll probably be limited to speculation.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 9
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 80
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (80)