May 6, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
It seems like a forgone conclusion that Minnesota will be getting an outdoor game in the not-too-distant future — Winter Classic or Stadium Series remains to be seen — but there is some discrepancy about who the Wild would be hosting.
The Wild continues its quest to host a Winter Classic. But there are plans to bring a stadium-series game to Minnesota as soon as next season.
The Wild wants the opponent to be the Blackhawks, but the NHL is pushing the Dallas Stars as the opponent. If the game happens, it looks as if it will be played at Target Field.
The Dallas connection certainly gives the game a “hook” with the history between the two organizations. The North Stars left Minnesota in 1993 when then-owner Norm Green controversially relocated the team to Dallas, and it would be seven seasons before NHL hockey returned in 2000, with the expansion Wild.
That inaugural season, the Wild scored one of the most memorable wins in franchise history by waxing Dallas 6-0 in the Stars’ return to Minnesota.
From an alumni perspective, the Minnesota-Dallas matchup would wield plenty of storylines, and would give fans a chance to celebrate all the great North Stars — Neal Broten, Brian Bellows, Dino Ciccarelli, Bobby Smith, Cesare Maniago — all the great Dallas Stars (Sergei Zubov, Derian Hatcher, Ed Belfour) and honor the figures that contributed to both organizations, like Mike Modano and Bob Gainey.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)