Perry’s glove-squirting antics don’t amuse L.A.

May 6, 2014, 2:02 AM EDT

During Monday’s 3-1 loss to the Kings, Anaheim forward Corey Perry was caught emptying the contents of his water bottle into the glove of L.A. forward Jeff Carter:

Turns out this isn’t the first time that Perry, a well-known agitator, has tried the move:

It’ll be interesting to see how the Kings handle Perry and his antics moving forward. The Anaheim sniper has struggled this postseason, scoring just two goals in eight games, and has failed to register a single point against L.A. while registering a minus-2 rating with just seven total shots on goal.

One could suggest the NHL’s second-leading goalscorer during the regular season (with 43 goals) is focused too much on antagonizing the opposition rather than, you know, scoring goals. If so, that’s Perry’s prerogative… but it’s worth noting the Kings don’t sound like they’ll just accept this glove thing moving forward.

‘That’s part of Perry’s game,” Drew Doughty said, per Mayors’ Manor. “We’ll have to do something about that.”

1. AppealToReason - May 6, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Man thats a great weasel move. I hate having wet gloves. I have two pairs just to make sure I can always have dry gloves.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - May 6, 2014 at 6:44 AM

No you don’t

2. blomfeld - May 6, 2014 at 2:09 AM

“We’ll have to do something about that” … Comrade Drew Doughty

Trust me friends, something is ‘definitely’ going to be done about that !

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kaptaanamerica - May 6, 2014 at 2:32 AM

I hope that someone takes a piece of flesh out of Perry…

also, fyi and to remove any doubt, Blomfeld, I don’t subscribe to the warped thinking regarding heaven, wine, and virgin women. As far as I’m concerned that’s for anti Semitic, Satan worshippers…. or people with evil intentions take your pick.

• machosasquatcho - May 6, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Shut up, blomfeld. Maybe you’ve forgotten, but you’re replying to yourself.

• tved12 - May 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM

You should actually sign off with,

“GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND UNTIL THEY’RE DOWN 3-0 IN A SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

3. opattytheirishrover - May 6, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Blomfeld my friend, I’m sorry man but I have been laughing about this since I read it. An absolute jerk move to be sure, but it’s so damn funny!!

Yeah yeah, I wouldn’t like it if it happened to me…but come on now!

In other news, your boys have done a hell of a job. Fun hockey to watch to be sure!

Hope all is well Blomfeld!

• blomfeld - May 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Comrade O’Patty – Thanks for your message friend and good to hear from you ! Yes this ‘squirting’ business was hilarious no doubt. Nonetheless, I suspect that all the Ducks have really achieved with this silly prank is to ‘awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible rage’ … now they’re gonna ‘get it’ real good !!! :)

4. 19to77 - May 6, 2014 at 3:32 AM

I love how Perry is “struggling” with only two goals in eight games while Crosby has one in his last 13 and everyone’s pounding out articles about him “silencing the critics.” The double-standards around that guy are hilarious.

• comeonnowguys - May 6, 2014 at 7:26 AM

They really are.

• hockey412 - May 6, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I’d agree with you, except that no one is saying Crosby was “silencing the critics”, you used it in quotes but I’m not sure where you are quoting it from. The quote from PHT was “It took long enough, but Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby scored his first goal of the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs in Game 3 against the New York Rangers on Monday”…which is much different (if I missed it I apologize). No one’s given Crosby the crown as ruler of the league for scoring one goal. Man, the criticism around that guy is hilarious. His name shows up in every comment section, no matter what.

I think this glove squirting thing is hilarious.

• comeonnowguys - May 6, 2014 at 8:45 AM

It was late, but I believe the talking point on NHLN last night was Crosby was back on track.

• hockey412 - May 6, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Possibly. He has been playing like a monster (better than he has since 2 weeks prior to the Olympics), so part of that is warranted. One goal doesn’t change anything though, I’d agree.

• avscup - May 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Have you been watching the games or just checking the box scores? Their is a huge difference in the amount of attention Crosby receives on the ice and Perry receives! Crosby is swarmed and Perry isn’t! Crosby is making things happen with superior play and Perry isn’t. Crosby’s team has won 2 games, Perry’ team hasn’t.

Pretty easy for even a casual fan to distinguish that!

• tved12 - May 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

So avscup is ready to come out of hiding finally. How is it not being able to watch your team any more? Chump!

• avscup - May 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Not in hiding, I was on vacation. You should know about not being able to watch your team anymore. ‘ve been to several Stanley Cup finals. You? Congrats on winning a series! That’s all MN has ever won right? Nothing more right?

BTW, the Avs overachieved all season. I never expected them to go very far. They had a great season.

Many more on the way. What are your realistic expectations? Another Stanley Cup for MN?

• tved12 - May 7, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Lol, the convenient vacation that you managed to take on a Wednesday. Even though you were commenting up until that game…

And it’s funny you’re changing your tune now, “the Avs overachieved all season. I never expected them to go very far.” When you were up 2-0 you were bragging up and down, how Minny couldn’t even play with your Avs. Now suddenly you didn’t expect them to win.

Not only are you overconfident, you can’t even own up and say, “Great series, we’ve got a bright future though.” Instead you make excuses and sound like a loser.

• pleasefiredan - May 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM

If you live in the Pittsburgh media market that is all they been talking about along with Fleury.

5. hughesy92 - May 6, 2014 at 3:37 AM

The glove-squirting incident was a clip from Game 1, not Game 2. Perry did not do it in Game 2, you can hear the announcers in the video clip saying it is a clip from the first game.

That being said, i think its hilarious

6. 19to77 - May 6, 2014 at 3:41 AM

I’m sure Tomas Hertl was ecstatic about that Dustin Brown hit that cost him just about the whole season. But, hey, respecting the rules and other players in general are for other teams, aren’t they? Pot, meet kettle. Then kindly shut the f**k up, you whiny bloody hypocrites.

• patthehockeyfan - May 6, 2014 at 7:25 AM

You’re going to be a 98-year-old man, and will still bring that up. That was the San Jose series. Give it a rest, why don’t you?

• patthehockeyfan - May 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM

And while you’re at it, why don’t you bring up the slash on the back of Doughty’s leg last night that sent him down, and then barely skating to get off the ice. Way to go, Ducks’ fans, for cheering as Doughty lay on the ice. Stay classy!

• crushed49 - May 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Damn, doughty got hurt? And I missed it? Well, hopefully he’ll only miss 40 or so games. I’m sure Hertl and the rest of the Sharks fans are with me! Too bad it wasn’t brown but a king is a king.

• chitown26 - May 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

If you think for one second that actually hurt Doughty, you need your eyes checked.

That was one of the weakest dives I’ve ever seen an NHL hockey player perform. I’m shocked that Doughty would be such a complete disgrace to the sport like that and dive so poorly.

What a loser.

No way did that hurt the back of a padded leg. Ugh.

• Alex - May 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM

@chitown26
        There is no protection or padding on the back of your legs below your hockey pants… Welcome to Hockey 101, Nubly!!!

• j22j - May 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM

19to77…you are an idiot

7. mattfondo - May 6, 2014 at 5:20 AM

What is amusing is how the Ducks are bloating this series.

8. Idaslapter - May 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Perry is the same weasly POS he has always been.

9. titansbro - May 6, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I would’ve thought this was the Bruins/Habs comment section. Good to see there is hatred amongst fans all over the league. It’s a GOOD thing for the league to have this kind of passion & hatred out there.

10. wishingtonredslur - May 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Hughsey or whatever, I watched him do it live during the games telecast, the in game announcers talked about it, played the reply, the desk jockeys talked about it at intermission, the LA Kings know it happened but you in your devine awesomeness are the only one who is right and everybody else, who was there, is wrong.

• patthehockeyfan - May 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM

No offense (really), and in Hughsey’s defense, I’m 99% sure that the announcers on TV said that it happened in game 1.

11. benp72 - May 6, 2014 at 9:15 AM

He squirts water in a glove and people want blood. Real tough guys from a comment section on a sports website

• hockey412 - May 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM

The problem was that it was holy water and burnt Carter’s arm off up to his elbow.

Not sure how Perry was drinking it.

• patthehockeyfan - May 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Perry is the devil, and holy water has no effect on him.

• hockey412 - May 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Clearly that is the case. We now have proof of what’s been suspected for years.

12. drewsylvania - May 6, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Sorry, that’s funny as hell.

13. blackhawks2010 - May 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Let Perry play his little games, meanwhile the Kings are focused on winning games. If the Ducks don’t win this series, it will be a total collapse.

Duck hunting….

14. csilojohnson - May 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM

hilarious

15. purpleguy - May 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Hey, better than an elbow to the head or a knee shot.

16. uslaxinc - May 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Well at least Perry got the water in the glove because he can’t put anything in the net.

17. bucfanforlife - May 6, 2014 at 1:01 PM

has anyone watched the games. perry was robbed by Martinez sacrifice in game 1 ot, are that’s in the net, the gloves that stuff happens all the time

18. sirclinksalot - May 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I’m a Kings fan and thought it was funny. Hope Perry continues to plot his next prank while the Kings plot to bring the cup back to LA.

19. johnmr12 - May 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Give me a break. Does anyone really think the kings are outraged by this childish move? I think Carter was laughing. I would be more upset with Perry trying to take out Quick accidently on purpose. I guarantee he will knock Quick over again in game 3. He knows their only shot at winning this series is with Quick out.

20. five4yytin - May 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM

So, the Ducks have resorted to school yard pranks. What’s next? Wedgies?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches