May 6, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Cross one of the biggest names off the coaching candidate list.
On Tuesday, the Nashville Predators named Peter Laviolette their new head coach and just the second bench boss in franchise history. Laviolette will replace Barry Trotz, who was relieved of his duties last month after 15 seasons in the Music City.
“Having reached the peak as a Stanley Cup Champion, Peter knows the intensity and urgency it will take to help our team reach its ultimate goal,” Preds GM David Poile said in a statement. “He is a great hockey mind who not only has a winning resume, but has done it with an aggressive offensive philosophy while also excelling in helping young players reach their potential.
“We look forward to Peter instilling his culture in Nashville immediately following his duties coaching the United States at the 2014 World Championship.”
Laviolette, 49, won a Stanley Cup with Carolina in 2006 and took the Flyers to the ’10 Cup Final, eventually losing to Chicago. He was fired by Philadelphia just three games into this season, replaced by Craig Berube.
Joining Laviolette in Nashville will be his former Flyers assistant Kevin McCarthy. McCarthy had been behind the bench in Philly for five years prior to his dismissal — which coincided with Laviolette’s — and is an ex-NHL defenseman, having captained the Canucks while making the NHL All-Star Game in 1981.
That last tidbit is interesting, because McCarthy will be joining a staff with another ex-NHL blueliner — Phil Housley, who will make up the other part of Laviolette’s staff along with Lane Lambert. Housley and Lambert are the two lone holdovers from the Trotz regime.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)