May 6, 2014, 1:27 AM EDT
What a difference two weeks makes.
After his first three games of these Stanley Cup playoffs, Jonathan Quick was boasting a ghastly 0-3 record, with an .852 save percentage and 5.81 goals-against average.
Tonight, he’s being hailed as the top goalie on the planet.
— The Mayor John Hoven (@mayorNHL) May 6, 2014
Brown’s quote illustrates just how quickly things turned around. After being lit up for 16 goals in three straight losses to open the postseason, Quick flipped the switch and has been a man on a mission ever since.
Consider what he’s done over what’s now a six-game winning streak:
To put that in perspective — his “worst” outing was allowing three goals on 39 shots in a win-or-go-home Game 4 against the Sharks, a game that came after three really tough performances. Since then, he’s gotten better and better.
Tonight, Quick was about as good as it gets. He showed his form early, robbing Devante Smith-Pelly with an old-school pad stack:
It’s now fair to suggest Quick is taking up residence in the Ducks’ heads. He’s allowed just three goals over the last 130 minutes and has done a magnificent job in keeping Anaheim’s stars at bay — Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Nick Bonino and Andrew Cogliano, who combined to score 118 goals during the regular season, have failed to beat Quick once in this series.
It’s the kind of performance that even Darryl Sutter had to gush over.
“The best player on the ice tonight,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider, “was the goaltender for the Kings.”
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 13
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 48
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)