May 5, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Marian Gaborik is proving to be a sage deadline pickup.
The Slovakian sniper scored his sixth goal of the playoffs — and third goal of the second round — really early on Monday night, giving the Kings a 1-0 lead on the Ducks just 34 seconds in at the Honda Center:
Gaborik’s quick Game 2 start comes on the heels of an unforgettable Game 1, in which he scored the equalizing goal with seven seconds left in regulation, then won it for L.A. in overtime. According to Elias Sports, he became the first player in NHL playoff history to score a game-tying goal in final 10 seconds of regulation and then score the OT winner.
Gaborik isn’t the only King making his mark this postseason, though. Anze Kopitar assisted on tonight’s goal, giving him at least one point in each of L.A.’s first nine games of the playoffs.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 39
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)