May 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis met with reporters today after firing head coach Kirk Muller and assistants John MacLean and Dave Lewis.
— Francis reiterated that it was important to get a “fresh start”; hence, the coaching change.
— Called it an open search for Muller’s replacement. “I don’t really have anybody in mind.”
— Ideally would like to have a new coach in place for the draft.
— Said firing the coach doesn’t let players off the hook, and players were told as much in their exit interviews.
— Wants a coach that communicates well and holds players accountable.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)