May 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis met with reporters today after firing head coach Kirk Muller and assistants John MacLean and Dave Lewis.
— Francis reiterated that it was important to get a “fresh start”; hence, the coaching change.
— Called it an open search for Muller’s replacement. “I don’t really have anybody in mind.”
— Ideally would like to have a new coach in place for the draft.
— Said firing the coach doesn’t let players off the hook, and players were told as much in their exit interviews.
— Wants a coach that communicates well and holds players accountable.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)