May 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis met with reporters today after firing head coach Kirk Muller and assistants John MacLean and Dave Lewis.
— Francis reiterated that it was important to get a “fresh start”; hence, the coaching change.
— Called it an open search for Muller’s replacement. “I don’t really have anybody in mind.”
— Ideally would like to have a new coach in place for the draft.
— Said firing the coach doesn’t let players off the hook, and players were told as much in their exit interviews.
— Wants a coach that communicates well and holds players accountable.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)