May 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis met with reporters today after firing head coach Kirk Muller and assistants John MacLean and Dave Lewis.
— Francis reiterated that it was important to get a “fresh start”; hence, the coaching change.
— Called it an open search for Muller’s replacement. “I don’t really have anybody in mind.”
— Ideally would like to have a new coach in place for the draft.
— Said firing the coach doesn’t let players off the hook, and players were told as much in their exit interviews.
— Wants a coach that communicates well and holds players accountable.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)