May 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis met with reporters today after firing head coach Kirk Muller and assistants John MacLean and Dave Lewis.
— Francis reiterated that it was important to get a “fresh start”; hence, the coaching change.
— Called it an open search for Muller’s replacement. “I don’t really have anybody in mind.”
— Ideally would like to have a new coach in place for the draft.
— Said firing the coach doesn’t let players off the hook, and players were told as much in their exit interviews.
— Wants a coach that communicates well and holds players accountable.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5