Oshie, Subban among eight finalists for EA NHL ’15 cover

May 5, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT

OshieSubban Getty Images

On Monday, Electronic Arts announced the eight players vying to be on the cover of NHL ’15: T.J. Oshie, P.K. Subban, Phil Kessel, Patrice Bergeron, Erik Karlsson, Logan Couture, Drew Doughty and Matt Duchene.

None of the above players have been on the cover before, though Subban was on the front of a limited edition of NHL ’13 that was released in Quebec. Last year, Devils goalie Martin Brodeur graced the cover of NHL ’14 after beating out Sergei Bobrovsky in the final of the voting contest.

Speaking of the vote, there are a few ways you can select who’ll be this year’s cover boy (or, man). From EA:

Head to NHL.com/CoverVote to cast your vote.

Voting ends June 1st and the winner will be announced during the 2014 NHL Awards on June 24th.

NHL 15 Voting Schedule:

Quarterfinals: May 5th – May 18th, 2014.
Semi-Finals: May 19th – May 25th, 2014.
Finals: May 26th – June 1st, 2014.

DOUBLE Your Vote!

Everyday fans can vote on Twitter or Instagram by creating a post containing a player(s) hashtag. DOUBLE your vote on Twitter Thursday when any post containing a hashtag(s) will count as two votes for the player(s) mentioned. Fans can join the conversation about the cover vote every day by using #NHL15CoverVote on Twitter and Instagram*.

This year’s version of the hugely popular NHL series will also have an NBC twist, as the play-by-play team of Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick and Eddie Olczyk will be used to call the games for the first time.

1. ironmd778 - May 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I bet Oshie wins.

2. miketoasty - May 5, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I’m sure on the next gen systems the graphics will be improved but please god make the hockey in the game actually feel like hockey. After a couple months it always turns into just one timers and skating around looking for the shot from the slot, with games ending with shot counts barely reaching ten.

As for the vote, I’m pulling for Oshie at least in the US just because of his antics in the Olympics, you know, basically putting the entire country on his shoulders.

• ironyisadeadscene - May 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Agreed on Oshie.

• esracerx46 - May 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM

What Oshie did against the Russians was awesome. But it was 1 game. Actually it wasn’t even a game at that point. The Americans didn’t even come home with Bronze. Had the Americans won something, OK yeah he put the team on his back. With all that aside, I wouldn’t mind seeing Oshie win.

Not sure how I feel about NBC being more involved. Stick to what you’re good at.

• lordfletcher - May 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM

anything with Doc Emrick is worth it. Hell, he can read to me while on the can and I wouldn’t be able to think of many things I’d rather be doing.

Like it or not, NBC has been fantastic to the NHL and I’m all for the two merging as much as possible. Not like things can get worse… It was dark years post ESPN. I like what NBC has done

• spezzdispenser - May 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I vote for Oshie’s wife

3. titansbro - May 5, 2014 at 1:37 PM

is there a curse like the madden curse? if yes, then i vote for subban. if no, then i vote for bergeron. lol.

• imleftcoast - May 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM

There is a curse, and I vote for Bergeron.

• titansbro - May 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM

i see what you did there, very clever. you sly devil.

4. comeonnowguys - May 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I’m really, really happy they’re using Doc and Edzo, and I’m glad to see NBC’s coverage “recognized” (between BPL and NHL, NBCSN is on almost non-stop all weekend right now), but I have to ask:

Is it going to come with a separate install disk for all of Doc’s verbs?

• imleftcoast - May 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM

What did Doc say when Thornton missed Subban and looked like he was flying into Doc’s 2×4 glass cell? He looked worried.

• mrhogan88 - May 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM

That’s Pierre McGuire…

• imleftcoast - May 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Brain fart – I meant Mr. Peanut.

• kaptaanamerica - May 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM

BPL? Are you referring to the EPL, English premier league? Or is that, bpl, something else

• comeonnowguys - May 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Nope, that’s the one.

I use EPL and I get told it’s BPL. I use BPL and I get told it’s EPL.

5. muckleflugga - May 5, 2014 at 2:06 PM

who over the age of eight plays video games …?

• comeonnowguys - May 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM

You could probably up that to 38 or 48 now. The Atari/Intellivision/NES generation is getting older.

As movies (generally) are remakes, re-hashes or sequels, I can either spend $40 to see a 2-hour movie that’s going to be on TNT or FX in four months, or I can spend $60 and be entertained for much, much longer.

And that’s just the yearly sports and FPS releases. Some of the games (Uncharted, The Last of Us) are lengthy interactive movies.

I will forever be on your lawn. Sorry.

• thailer35 - May 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM

The average age is actually 31, and 71% of gamers are over 18.

Typically to find out answers to questions like this you can do quick searches on Goog-… Never mind, it’ll take too long to explain.

• titansbro - May 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM

muckleflugga is simply better & more mature than the rest of us… accept it guys

6. bigtganks - May 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM

If it’s up to NBC, then it’ll be Oshie for sure with that same Enterprise commercial. Or the two chicks on the treadmill (Flyers/Bruins fans). I mean, I can’t get enough of the same five commercials.

• comeonnowguys - May 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I will defer to those who know better, but I don’t think NBC has any control over what goes into an advertiser’s commercial, other than yes, we’ll show it or no, we won’t.

That said, the commentators love them some “Olympic Hero” Oshie.

• kaptaanamerica - May 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM

The chicks commercial is tops. Now if they’d only start wrestling….

• greatmiamisportsmind - May 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM

that bruins fan almost makes me wanna be a bruins fan, but I’ll stick with the panthers

7. sgs32 - May 5, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Bergeron, please.

• sgs32 - May 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM

as long as there is no curse ;)

• comeonnowguys - May 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Patrick Kane was the last cover boy to win the Cup that year.

At least there aren’t as many devastating injuries?

• imleftcoast - May 5, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Kesler has been a disaster since he was on the 2k11 cover.

8. muckleflugga - May 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM

thailer35

no, please explain …

i’ve been programming in objective c since i bought my first four NeXT Stations in 1991 … i wrote several basic propriety drafting programmes out of personal necessity … parts of those programmes still earn me money

my son taught himself on the same machines, and has made himself rich writing objects for every game manufacturer on the planet earth … if you buy these games, he gets a little piece

some build, some play

i take my royalties to the ski hills, you

• spezzdispenser - May 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Noooooooobody cares!

• joey4id - May 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM

and today’s dipsh it of the day award goes toooooo

muckle “i take my royalties to the ski hills” flugga

• thailer35 - May 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Joey, I must say, lately you’ve been much more awesome. I applaud your efforts.

• joey4id - May 6, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I have no idea why you’d say I’m making an effort when in fact I’m not. But! Thanks! Fun game coming this evening. Enjoy!

• dtownbeatdown - May 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I bet you used to be boys with Steve Jobs too…

9. stixzidinia - May 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM

None of the above, please.

• imleftcoast - May 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM

1 vote for Lucic.

10. muckleflugga - May 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

thailer35

with those statistics it’s not hard to understand why obesity and heart disease are spiking … a generation of couch potatoes moving to video games

you see it in fashion, all adapted to hide the blubber … slack faces and slack asses … can you give me hallelujah

i remember going into the street in the evening to play ball hockey, or scrub or kick-the-can, the street was a riot … now the streets are empty and every bedroom has a little blue screen glowing brightly

the state of empty, manifest in one hundred and forty character stupidity

• thailer35 - May 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I can even agree with most of your sentiment here, but it directly contradicts your earlier assumption that people play video games are eight or under.

• rabidbillsfan - May 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Actually, I’m an avid gamer, and I could probably whip you in any sport where physical endurance is required. With the amount of time I spend at my job and behind the screen of either a Computer or Television, I find the time to work out 6+ days a week (13-15 hours maybe), eat a well balanced, Healthy diet, and still play in recreation sports. It’s called self control. You can remember the good old days, but that’s whats wrong with everybody in America now anyways. Instead of bi*ching about how things aren’t what they used to be, get out and make the best of what your given. Maybe if you happend to “game”, you wouldn’t be so bitter as you could use those digital worlds as an escape from your life. All in all, my point is this… NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU OR I THINK ON THE INTERNET We are all Bill Gates here and are dating Paulina Gretzky, so get in line.

• no - May 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• claudegirwho - May 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM

So is that why fashionable clothing for guys is less baggy and more form fitting nowadays? Oh that’s right you still probably dress like your from 80’s

• ironyisadeadscene - May 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM

But…..But….you post here non-stop…..hypocrite much?

• miketoasty - May 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I play video games (Including the NHL series), am in a pickup hockey league, and regularly practice at the local rink. I’m 23. You can’t explain that.

• dtownbeatdown - May 5, 2014 at 6:58 PM

You don’t even know how to reply to a post properly, let alone be a programmer!

11. ironmd778 - May 5, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Who over 8 plays video games? You can’t be serious. Wake up, dude. It’s 2014.

• comeonnowguys - May 5, 2014 at 3:42 PM

To be fair, muckle’s still pissed we gave up the King’s English.

12. muttbolts91 - May 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Mike toast
    I heard they are not coming out with NHL 15 on next gen consoles.

• parasolmonster - May 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Mutt bolts
      I heard what you heard is wrong.

• comeonnowguys - May 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t on the next gen. I just hope it comes out on 360.

• miketoasty - May 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM

You can check their site, they are making the new features specifically for the Xbox One and PS4. 360 and PS3 are still getting a release but it’ll be a dumbed down version, possibly even just a copy and paste from last year.

13. hockeyornothing - May 5, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Bergeron or
    Oshie

Should probably be Oshie. More recognizable but can he be wearing Olympic uniform or St. Louis?

14. bigbadbruins77 - May 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Agree bergie or oshie. Subban will be tough to beat with all those Canadians voting for him and his playoff play. Keep calm and bergeron! Tj sochi! Oshie trick!

15. muckleflugga - May 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM

rabidbillsfan … one would have to be rabid to be a bills fan, no doubt

summer hockey starts on the fourteenth at norma bush arena in calgary at 03:00 pm … were you able to show

there’s a big difference between the workout you get in recreational exercise joints, and that offered in real-time full-contact hockey … better still, come up to the mountains and we’ll show you the kind of fitness needed to ski sunshine or louise, top to bottom, flat-out, non-stop

i can’t think of anything more contemptible than today’s gelatinous assed youth, heads buried in video games while feeding their faces, this while three quarters of the world is starving and working sixteen hour days from the age of six and up just trying to survive

it’s offensive

then you get the chronically stupid in here, with the emotional development of eight year olds, trying to rationalize playing video games as a means for entertainment, into middle age yet … try cracking a book instead … then bandy words with your betters

i went back to university to complete graduate work in 1994 and was flabbergasted to find two things:

grown men sailing around campus on effing skateboards … i asked myself what the hell was the world coming to

then i was marking papers from first year students who could neither write a complex sentence nor spell nor compose a simple précis … i found my answer

rules of thumb: those who spend time on video games rarely survive year one … those who spend time on video games are likely not involved with members of the opposite sex

it’s as if they’ve never really grown up …?

the same behaviour is manifest in development of facebook and twitter … a generation of self-loving, self-interested but empty headed vacuous youth moving into a retarded adulthood … one hundred and forty character wunderkind

read these comment pages, it’s evident for anyone to see

• comeonnowguys - May 5, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I can think of a few other contemptible and offensive things.

A holier-than-thou mentality. Strike one. Generalizations so broad they invalidate themselves. Strike two. People who spend too much time talking about themselves just to hear themselves speak. Strike three. Kindly take a seat.

Here’s your startling revelation: People who do too much of something suffer from the lack of balance. Wow, that is a staggering peek into human behavior.

I think I have a golf clap around here somewhere for you. Let me look… nevermind, I just ran out of craps.

• dtownbeatdown - May 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM

How can you be a programmer when you can barely write properly. You sound like a dunce, that still lives in his 70 year old mothers basement.

• rabidbillsfan - May 5, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I do not care how smart you are, you are just driving my point home that you are an extremely ignorant individual. Technology has given you this soap box you preach from. Stop with the 140-character act, it’s twitter. The developers of that have made more money than you will ever see in your lifetime. Heck, I bet they even own the Ski-slope you find so heavenly. Funny you mention self-loving, “Excuse me, Mr. Pot? I have a friend, Mr. Kettle, he’d like to chat.” If you returned to U. in ’94, I’ll give you 6 years of education, a 2 year gap between studies, that puts you at 26 in ’94, 46 (+/- 1) now. I highly doubt that you do anything related to contact sports, at least not with individuals that are my age. How about this, you start running to Buffalo, and I will start running to wherever you are, whoever covers the most mileage when we meet is the winner? That’s a measure of physical endurance. Not Hockey. Skating, maybe, but the sport itself, no. The equivalent of what you offered would for me to offer you a 1v1 of NHL ’15. Again, ignorance. Did you know… 59% of Americans play video games, 48% of that 59% are women. The majority of which are all over the age of 18. $21 billion was spent on gaming last year. Outside of the Medical field, Computer Science is in the second highest demand when it comes to jobs in America. Ok, I’m done Mr. Sheep, continue trolling a message board on the internet affiliated with a national television brand…”the dropout rate by third year is incredible, proportionate to the same near institutionalized illeteracy, much of it borne on video game and television induced idiocy …”

16. muckleflugga - May 5, 2014 at 4:55 PM

thailer35

actually i asked, rather than made an assumption, as to who over the age of eight plays video games … there is a significant difference at play

it was meant to be a rhetorical question, designed to induce outrage from those suitably wounded, assuming defensive postures in rationalizing thousands upon thousands of hours wasted when they could have been enjoying active lives

outdoors

• rabidbillsfan - May 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Did you reply to him… outdoors?

17. durila1 - May 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Kessel and oshie in USA garb

18. matt14gg - May 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM

There’s a handful of guys I’d have no problem with and of course you’re never going to go wrong with Bergeron on the cover, but I think it will be Subban and I think that’s a positive thing in many ways. He’s a great player, he’s “the future” of the NHL and I do think it sends a great message. I am NOT one who falls all over myself worrying about the “race” issue, mostly because in many cases it’s unfounded, but I also think the NHL has been a leader, maybe in an understated way, in showing the game really is for EVERYONE. As I’ve said in other posts, I don’t think there’s another major sport (outside of soccer) that comes close to hockey in having ALL cultures represented. I’m a B’s fan and I despise Subban on the ice, but I also give him his due for how great he is and what a positive image he is for the NHL. Put him on the cover.

19. muckleflugga - May 5, 2014 at 11:46 PM

rabidbillsfan

you may ski on slopes but we ski on mountains, all of which are leased from the people of canada … mountains and rivers and lakes and all inland waterways are crown property here in the great white north

what do they teach you dolts south of the border …?

like many of the juvenile posting herein, your arguments are immature, relying on pointless facts dredged from wiki … try some original thought and accompanying prose for once

the fact is, you talk too much … the guys i play with do all their talking on the ice … bring your body by fabutan out this way, we’ll show you what chiseled means doughboy

too easy

• thailer35 - May 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM

“the fact is, you talk too much …”

Four novels of non-sense in the comments section of a hockey blog later, muckle here is telling others they talk to much.

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches