May 5, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
The Rangers carried much of the play (including firing 35 shots to the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 15) in Monday’s defeat, yet they couldn’t get the job done. Lundqvist expressed some mixed emotions after the game, as New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay reports.
“I’m sitting here trying to figure out how we lost this game,” Lundqvist said. “We did a lot of good things. It’s not over.”
There are plenty of reasons why the Rangers lost, even if they played well during significant stretches of this game.
Sidney Crosby finally scored and the Penguins nailed both of their biggest breakaway opportunities. Marc-Andre Fleury was both fantastic and lucky. There’s also the fatigue factor that Alain Vigneault & Co. finally acknowledged after the game. (One may also point to that squalid power play, too …)
Vigneault agreed that his team played well and hopes they can carry that over into Game 4:
It has to be deflating to fall down 2-1 in a 48-hour period after gutting out a Game 1 win on short rest, but Lundqvist is correct: the Rangers are still very much in this series. They could even things up at 2-2 in Game 4 on Wednesday, so it’s understandable that the Blueshirts are optimistic through the frustration and exhaustion.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)