May 5, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
With Robyn Regehr injured, it looks like Jeff Schultz will suit up on the Kings’ blue line tonight against the Ducks, making his first appearance in an NHL game since March 13, 2013, when he was still with the Capitals.
Schultz has been called up from AHL Manchester, where he had 13 points in 67 games this season.
Regehr isn’t the only veteran d-man the Kings are expected to be missing tonight. Willie Mitchell is also injured, with coach Darryl Sutter offering nothing in terms of an update.
“I’m not talking anything about injuries, ever,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It’s not something that you should have to talk about publicly. It’s to protect the player, not give the other team the advantage.”
Schultz, not surprisingly, is excited at the prospect of returning to NHL action.
“I worked hard all year,” he said, “and didn’t think this day was going to come, but I have the opportunity to help the team win, and I’m going to go out there and do my best, and do what they ask of me to do.”
Related: Get your game notes: Kings at Ducks
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 1
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 3
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)