May 5, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
With Robyn Regehr injured, it looks like Jeff Schultz will suit up on the Kings’ blue line tonight against the Ducks, making his first appearance in an NHL game since March 13, 2013, when he was still with the Capitals.
Schultz has been called up from AHL Manchester, where he had 13 points in 67 games this season.
Regehr isn’t the only veteran d-man the Kings are expected to be missing tonight. Willie Mitchell is also injured, with coach Darryl Sutter offering nothing in terms of an update.
“I’m not talking anything about injuries, ever,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It’s not something that you should have to talk about publicly. It’s to protect the player, not give the other team the advantage.”
Schultz, not surprisingly, is excited at the prospect of returning to NHL action.
“I worked hard all year,” he said, “and didn’t think this day was going to come, but I have the opportunity to help the team win, and I’m going to go out there and do my best, and do what they ask of me to do.”
Related: Get your game notes: Kings at Ducks
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 12
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)