May 5, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
With Robyn Regehr injured, it looks like Jeff Schultz will suit up on the Kings’ blue line tonight against the Ducks, making his first appearance in an NHL game since March 13, 2013, when he was still with the Capitals.
Schultz has been called up from AHL Manchester, where he had 13 points in 67 games this season.
Regehr isn’t the only veteran d-man the Kings are expected to be missing tonight. Willie Mitchell is also injured, with coach Darryl Sutter offering nothing in terms of an update.
“I’m not talking anything about injuries, ever,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It’s not something that you should have to talk about publicly. It’s to protect the player, not give the other team the advantage.”
Schultz, not surprisingly, is excited at the prospect of returning to NHL action.
“I worked hard all year,” he said, “and didn’t think this day was going to come, but I have the opportunity to help the team win, and I’m going to go out there and do my best, and do what they ask of me to do.”
Related: Get your game notes: Kings at Ducks
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 104
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (103)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)