May 5, 2014, 3:04 PM EST
With Robyn Regehr injured, it looks like Jeff Schultz will suit up on the Kings’ blue line tonight against the Ducks, making his first appearance in an NHL game since March 13, 2013, when he was still with the Capitals.
Schultz has been called up from AHL Manchester, where he had 13 points in 67 games this season.
Regehr isn’t the only veteran d-man the Kings are expected to be missing tonight. Willie Mitchell is also injured, with coach Darryl Sutter offering nothing in terms of an update.
“I’m not talking anything about injuries, ever,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It’s not something that you should have to talk about publicly. It’s to protect the player, not give the other team the advantage.”
Schultz, not surprisingly, is excited at the prospect of returning to NHL action.
“I worked hard all year,” he said, “and didn’t think this day was going to come, but I have the opportunity to help the team win, and I’m going to go out there and do my best, and do what they ask of me to do.”
Related: Get your game notes: Kings at Ducks
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 22
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 42
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 65
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 46
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)