May 5, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
With Robyn Regehr injured, it looks like Jeff Schultz will suit up on the Kings’ blue line tonight against the Ducks, making his first appearance in an NHL game since March 13, 2013, when he was still with the Capitals.
Schultz has been called up from AHL Manchester, where he had 13 points in 67 games this season.
Regehr isn’t the only veteran d-man the Kings are expected to be missing tonight. Willie Mitchell is also injured, with coach Darryl Sutter offering nothing in terms of an update.
“I’m not talking anything about injuries, ever,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It’s not something that you should have to talk about publicly. It’s to protect the player, not give the other team the advantage.”
Schultz, not surprisingly, is excited at the prospect of returning to NHL action.
“I worked hard all year,” he said, “and didn’t think this day was going to come, but I have the opportunity to help the team win, and I’m going to go out there and do my best, and do what they ask of me to do.”
Related: Get your game notes: Kings at Ducks
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)