May 5, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Two weeks ago, we wrote a post called “Twisting in the wind,” about the still-undecided futures of NHL head coaches Adam Oates, John Tortorella, and Randy Carlyle.
Carlyle, however, remains twisting.
So…will this be the week the Maple Leafs’ bench boss gets the yea or nay from management? According to the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox, it will be. And according to the Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons, “the likelihood is the Leafs won’t wait long to confirm that Carlyle will return in his position as coach.”
Only new Leafs president Brendan Shanahan knows for sure.
Carlyle failed to lead Toronto to the playoffs in 2013-14, his team finishing its schedule on a disastrous 2-12-0 run and falling from third in the Eastern Conference to 12th.
The Leafs were also one of the worst possession teams in the NHL, their Fenwick close finishing higher than only Buffalo’s. In a related story, no team surrendered more shots per game than Toronto (35.9).
But Carlyle does have a Stanley Cup ring from his days coaching the Ducks, and certainly not all the Leafs’ problems can be pinned on the coach.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)