May 5, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, we wrote a post called “Twisting in the wind,” about the still-undecided futures of NHL head coaches Adam Oates, John Tortorella, and Randy Carlyle.
Carlyle, however, remains twisting.
So…will this be the week the Maple Leafs’ bench boss gets the yea or nay from management? According to the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox, it will be. And according to the Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons, “the likelihood is the Leafs won’t wait long to confirm that Carlyle will return in his position as coach.”
Only new Leafs president Brendan Shanahan knows for sure.
Carlyle failed to lead Toronto to the playoffs in 2013-14, his team finishing its schedule on a disastrous 2-12-0 run and falling from third in the Eastern Conference to 12th.
The Leafs were also one of the worst possession teams in the NHL, their Fenwick close finishing higher than only Buffalo’s. In a related story, no team surrendered more shots per game than Toronto (35.9).
But Carlyle does have a Stanley Cup ring from his days coaching the Ducks, and certainly not all the Leafs’ problems can be pinned on the coach.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)