May 5, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, we wrote a post called “Twisting in the wind,” about the still-undecided futures of NHL head coaches Adam Oates, John Tortorella, and Randy Carlyle.
Carlyle, however, remains twisting.
So…will this be the week the Maple Leafs’ bench boss gets the yea or nay from management? According to the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox, it will be. And according to the Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons, “the likelihood is the Leafs won’t wait long to confirm that Carlyle will return in his position as coach.”
Only new Leafs president Brendan Shanahan knows for sure.
Carlyle failed to lead Toronto to the playoffs in 2013-14, his team finishing its schedule on a disastrous 2-12-0 run and falling from third in the Eastern Conference to 12th.
The Leafs were also one of the worst possession teams in the NHL, their Fenwick close finishing higher than only Buffalo’s. In a related story, no team surrendered more shots per game than Toronto (35.9).
But Carlyle does have a Stanley Cup ring from his days coaching the Ducks, and certainly not all the Leafs’ problems can be pinned on the coach.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)