May 5, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have fired head coach Kirk Muller, as well as his assistants John MacLean and Dave Lewis.
“We thank Kirk, John and Dave for their time and effort during the past three seasons,” said new general manager Ron Francis in a release. “Kirk and his staff worked very hard, but we feel that the team is in need of a fresh start at this time.”
Assistant coach Rod Brind’Amour will remain part of the coaching staff, while goaltending coach Greg Stefan has been reassigned to the pro scouting department.
Since being hired on Nov. 28, 2011, Muller went 80-80-27 behind the bench in Carolina, failing to lead the Hurricanes to the playoffs.
Carolina joins Florida, Nashville, Vancouver and Washington on the list of teams with head-coaching vacancies. It’s possible that list grows further, depending what happens in Toronto and San Jose.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)