May 5, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have fired head coach Kirk Muller, as well as his assistants John MacLean and Dave Lewis.
“We thank Kirk, John and Dave for their time and effort during the past three seasons,” said new general manager Ron Francis in a release. “Kirk and his staff worked very hard, but we feel that the team is in need of a fresh start at this time.”
Assistant coach Rod Brind’Amour will remain part of the coaching staff, while goaltending coach Greg Stefan has been reassigned to the pro scouting department.
Since being hired on Nov. 28, 2011, Muller went 80-80-27 behind the bench in Carolina, failing to lead the Hurricanes to the playoffs.
Carolina joins Florida, Nashville, Vancouver and Washington on the list of teams with head-coaching vacancies. It’s possible that list grows further, depending what happens in Toronto and San Jose.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)