May 5, 2014, 11:08 AM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes have fired head coach Kirk Muller, as well as his assistants John MacLean and Dave Lewis.
“We thank Kirk, John and Dave for their time and effort during the past three seasons,” said new general manager Ron Francis in a release. “Kirk and his staff worked very hard, but we feel that the team is in need of a fresh start at this time.”
Assistant coach Rod Brind’Amour will remain part of the coaching staff, while goaltending coach Greg Stefan has been reassigned to the pro scouting department.
Since being hired on Nov. 28, 2011, Muller went 80-80-27 behind the bench in Carolina, failing to lead the Hurricanes to the playoffs.
Carolina joins Florida, Nashville, Vancouver and Washington on the list of teams with head-coaching vacancies. It’s possible that list grows further, depending what happens in Toronto and San Jose.
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 4
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 2
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 19
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45
- Welcome Taylor Hall to the trade rumor mill 53