May 4, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings aren’t known for making bold free agent signings, but they took a chance when they inked Stephen Weiss to a five-year, $34.5 million contract last summer. So far it’s burned them.
Rather than be the second-line center they were hoping for, Weiss was shut down on Dec. 10 and recently had surgery to deal with scar tissue related to his December sports hernia operation, per the Detroit Free Press. The procedure is minor, but he’s still at least a month away from being able to work out.
Weiss has since admitted that he actually started the season with a hernia and chose not to speak up about it. In retrospect, he realizes that was a mistake, according to the Macomb Daily.
Regardless, the fact that he’s still not out of the woods is a potentially big problem given that the 31-year-old needs to, as Red Wings GM Ken Holland put it, have a “a great summer” in order to bounce back.
“We’re going to continue to look for answers to why is he not getting healthy,” Holland said. “It’s hard to know where he’s going to be in September. A lot of where he’s going to be in September is really going to be about, is he going to be able to … have a June, July and August where he’s able to hit the gym and come to camp healthy, fit, ready to go.”
Weiss had just two goals and four points in 26 games. The Red Wings got by this season because some of their young players were able to take a step forward, but this is still a team in transition and they could certainly use Weiss’ services on the second line.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)