May 4, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault admitted that he must be the one to find a solution for his team’s aimless power play after it failed once again in a 3-0 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 2 of their second-round series on Sunday.
With less than 24 hours rest between tonight’s contest and Monday’s Game 3 at Madison Square Garden, it might behoove the Rangers to score a few “easy” goals.
Then again, power-play goals certainly haven’t come easily. The Rangers have now gone seven straight games without a tally on the man advantage, going 0-for-25 in that span. That unit hasn’t found the net since Benoit Pouliot beat Ray Emery in the first round of Game 2 during the Rangers’ first-round series against the Philadelphia Flyers.
To be fair, it’s common to forget that a slump often demands strong play from an opponent. Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma raved about his team’s penalty kill unit after leaving the Rangers 0-for-4 for a second straight game.
If things remain tight between the Rangers and Penguins, losing the special teams battle could really hurt. The Penguins have scored at least one power-play goal in five of their eight playoff games this postseason, so Vigneault has to hope to at least break even in that area as this series goes along.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)