May 4, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault admitted that he must be the one to find a solution for his team’s aimless power play after it failed once again in a 3-0 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 2 of their second-round series on Sunday.
With less than 24 hours rest between tonight’s contest and Monday’s Game 3 at Madison Square Garden, it might behoove the Rangers to score a few “easy” goals.
Then again, power-play goals certainly haven’t come easily. The Rangers have now gone seven straight games without a tally on the man advantage, going 0-for-25 in that span. That unit hasn’t found the net since Benoit Pouliot beat Ray Emery in the first round of Game 2 during the Rangers’ first-round series against the Philadelphia Flyers.
To be fair, it’s common to forget that a slump often demands strong play from an opponent. Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma raved about his team’s penalty kill unit after leaving the Rangers 0-for-4 for a second straight game.
If things remain tight between the Rangers and Penguins, losing the special teams battle could really hurt. The Penguins have scored at least one power-play goal in five of their eight playoff games this postseason, so Vigneault has to hope to at least break even in that area as this series goes along.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 18
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)