May 4, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault admitted that he must be the one to find a solution for his team’s aimless power play after it failed once again in a 3-0 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 2 of their second-round series on Sunday.
With less than 24 hours rest between tonight’s contest and Monday’s Game 3 at Madison Square Garden, it might behoove the Rangers to score a few “easy” goals.
Then again, power-play goals certainly haven’t come easily. The Rangers have now gone seven straight games without a tally on the man advantage, going 0-for-25 in that span. That unit hasn’t found the net since Benoit Pouliot beat Ray Emery in the first round of Game 2 during the Rangers’ first-round series against the Philadelphia Flyers.
To be fair, it’s common to forget that a slump often demands strong play from an opponent. Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma raved about his team’s penalty kill unit after leaving the Rangers 0-for-4 for a second straight game.
If things remain tight between the Rangers and Penguins, losing the special teams battle could really hurt. The Penguins have scored at least one power-play goal in five of their eight playoff games this postseason, so Vigneault has to hope to at least break even in that area as this series goes along.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)