May 4, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
The fact that Kris Letang is playing at all — let alone at his current level — is huge for Pittsburgh, but the process of fully moving past the stroke that sidelined him for two and a half months isn’t complete.
“He’s able to play in a playoff game 20-plus minutes,” said Penguins assistant coach Todd Reirden, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “But he’s not to the level where he was a couple of years ago, or last year in the playoffs, when we could get him to 27 or 28 minutes.”
Letang has played in 10 games since his return with seven of them being in the playoffs. He’s been getting better as he gets more games under his belt and he started making bolder plays towards the end of the first round.
That’s not enough for him to call himself 100% though. He still needs to work on his conditioning after he was forced to limit his physical activity in the weeks following his stroke. He’s not sure when he’ll reach his former level and there’s no guarantee it will happen before the end of the playoffs.
Still with every game, he’s getting closer to that goal.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)