May 4, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
It turns out Marian Gaborik‘s heroics last night weren’t just impressive, they were historic.
With the Kings down 2-1 against Anaheim in Game 1 of the second round series, Gaborik found the back of the net with seven seconds left in the third period. He then netted the game-winner 12:07 minutes into overtime. No other player has ever tied a playoff game with less than 10 seconds left and then netted the overtime winner, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Since Los Angeles gave up a second round pick, third round selection, and forward Matt Frattin to Columbus in exchange for Gaborik on March 5, the 32-year-old forward has been making it worth the Kings’ while. He’s tied for the league-lead with five goals in eight postseason contests.
“(Gaborik) was a big reason that we won the first round,” Kings coach Darryl Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider.
This is an opportunity for Gaborik to win his first championship, but it’s also the last impression he’ll leave on potential suitors before his contract expires this summer. He’s had three 40-goal seasons, but he’s also dealt with injury problems and struggled with Columbus prior to the trade.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)