May 4, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
It turns out Marian Gaborik‘s heroics last night weren’t just impressive, they were historic.
With the Kings down 2-1 against Anaheim in Game 1 of the second round series, Gaborik found the back of the net with seven seconds left in the third period. He then netted the game-winner 12:07 minutes into overtime. No other player has ever tied a playoff game with less than 10 seconds left and then netted the overtime winner, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Since Los Angeles gave up a second round pick, third round selection, and forward Matt Frattin to Columbus in exchange for Gaborik on March 5, the 32-year-old forward has been making it worth the Kings’ while. He’s tied for the league-lead with five goals in eight postseason contests.
“(Gaborik) was a big reason that we won the first round,” Kings coach Darryl Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider.
This is an opportunity for Gaborik to win his first championship, but it’s also the last impression he’ll leave on potential suitors before his contract expires this summer. He’s had three 40-goal seasons, but he’s also dealt with injury problems and struggled with Columbus prior to the trade.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)