May 4, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
It turns out Marian Gaborik‘s heroics last night weren’t just impressive, they were historic.
With the Kings down 2-1 against Anaheim in Game 1 of the second round series, Gaborik found the back of the net with seven seconds left in the third period. He then netted the game-winner 12:07 minutes into overtime. No other player has ever tied a playoff game with less than 10 seconds left and then netted the overtime winner, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Since Los Angeles gave up a second round pick, third round selection, and forward Matt Frattin to Columbus in exchange for Gaborik on March 5, the 32-year-old forward has been making it worth the Kings’ while. He’s tied for the league-lead with five goals in eight postseason contests.
“(Gaborik) was a big reason that we won the first round,” Kings coach Darryl Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider.
This is an opportunity for Gaborik to win his first championship, but it’s also the last impression he’ll leave on potential suitors before his contract expires this summer. He’s had three 40-goal seasons, but he’s also dealt with injury problems and struggled with Columbus prior to the trade.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)