May 4, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
It turns out Marian Gaborik‘s heroics last night weren’t just impressive, they were historic.
With the Kings down 2-1 against Anaheim in Game 1 of the second round series, Gaborik found the back of the net with seven seconds left in the third period. He then netted the game-winner 12:07 minutes into overtime. No other player has ever tied a playoff game with less than 10 seconds left and then netted the overtime winner, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Since Los Angeles gave up a second round pick, third round selection, and forward Matt Frattin to Columbus in exchange for Gaborik on March 5, the 32-year-old forward has been making it worth the Kings’ while. He’s tied for the league-lead with five goals in eight postseason contests.
“(Gaborik) was a big reason that we won the first round,” Kings coach Darryl Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider.
This is an opportunity for Gaborik to win his first championship, but it’s also the last impression he’ll leave on potential suitors before his contract expires this summer. He’s had three 40-goal seasons, but he’s also dealt with injury problems and struggled with Columbus prior to the trade.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)