May 4, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
It turns out Marian Gaborik‘s heroics last night weren’t just impressive, they were historic.
With the Kings down 2-1 against Anaheim in Game 1 of the second round series, Gaborik found the back of the net with seven seconds left in the third period. He then netted the game-winner 12:07 minutes into overtime. No other player has ever tied a playoff game with less than 10 seconds left and then netted the overtime winner, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
Since Los Angeles gave up a second round pick, third round selection, and forward Matt Frattin to Columbus in exchange for Gaborik on March 5, the 32-year-old forward has been making it worth the Kings’ while. He’s tied for the league-lead with five goals in eight postseason contests.
“(Gaborik) was a big reason that we won the first round,” Kings coach Darryl Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider.
This is an opportunity for Gaborik to win his first championship, but it’s also the last impression he’ll leave on potential suitors before his contract expires this summer. He’s had three 40-goal seasons, but he’s also dealt with injury problems and struggled with Columbus prior to the trade.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 4
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (55)