May 3, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Whether the Minnesota Wild like it or not, they’ll need to stick with Ilya Bryzgalov in net against the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 2 on Sunday. If nothing else, head coach Mike Yeo is saying all the right things about Breezy, at least to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo.
Yeo told Russo that he has a “good feeling” that the 33-year-old netminder will “play well” in Game 2.
As PHT noted on Friday, injuries continue to hinder the Wild in net. Yeo backed up yesterday’s update that Darcy Kuemper is not with the team just yet as he continues to struggle with an injury suffered during Game 7 of the Wild’s first-round series against the Colorado Avalanche.
While Yeo is putting on a brave face, Russo notes that Bryzgalov has been struggling lately. After a strong finish to the regular season (5-1-1 with two shutouts), Bryzgalov has struggled in the postseason. His lone playoff win in 2014 came after playing 13:15 in Game 7 following Kuemper’s injury.
Despite besting Bryzgalov and the Wild 5-2 in Game 1, more than a few Blackhawks players noted that they weren’t totally happy with their efforts in that victory (Johnny Oduya told Russo that they “got away with one”), so things could be even more challenging for the Russian goalie.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)