May 3, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens didn’t get a great game from Thomas Vanek in Game 1 and with his history of success against the Boston Bruins, it came as a bit of a surprise.
Vanek had no points or shots on goal in 18:58 in the Canadiens’ 4-3 double-overtime win and judging by what Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said ahead of this afternoon’s Game 2, Vanek will need to show a lot more to impress him as Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press writes.
“One thing that’s not negotiable with our team … work ethic is not negotiable, attitude is not negotiable and competing is not negotiable,” Therrien said. “This is something we ask from every player on our hockey team. We have to make sure that everyone brings those elements to every single shift and every single game.”
Therrien twice stressed he wasn’t talking specifically about Vanek, but the message seemed clear that’s who the message was intended for.
Vanek has a goal and two assists in the playoffs, but his performance in Game 1 against Boston wasn’t inspiring. When he’s at his best, he’s one of the top scorers in the league and that’s what Therrien and the Habs need from him against the league’s best team in the regular season.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)