May 3, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens didn’t get a great game from Thomas Vanek in Game 1 and with his history of success against the Boston Bruins, it came as a bit of a surprise.
Vanek had no points or shots on goal in 18:58 in the Canadiens’ 4-3 double-overtime win and judging by what Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said ahead of this afternoon’s Game 2, Vanek will need to show a lot more to impress him as Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press writes.
“One thing that’s not negotiable with our team … work ethic is not negotiable, attitude is not negotiable and competing is not negotiable,” Therrien said. “This is something we ask from every player on our hockey team. We have to make sure that everyone brings those elements to every single shift and every single game.”
Therrien twice stressed he wasn’t talking specifically about Vanek, but the message seemed clear that’s who the message was intended for.
Vanek has a goal and two assists in the playoffs, but his performance in Game 1 against Boston wasn’t inspiring. When he’s at his best, he’s one of the top scorers in the league and that’s what Therrien and the Habs need from him against the league’s best team in the regular season.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)