May 3, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens didn’t get a great game from Thomas Vanek in Game 1 and with his history of success against the Boston Bruins, it came as a bit of a surprise.
Vanek had no points or shots on goal in 18:58 in the Canadiens’ 4-3 double-overtime win and judging by what Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said ahead of this afternoon’s Game 2, Vanek will need to show a lot more to impress him as Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press writes.
“One thing that’s not negotiable with our team … work ethic is not negotiable, attitude is not negotiable and competing is not negotiable,” Therrien said. “This is something we ask from every player on our hockey team. We have to make sure that everyone brings those elements to every single shift and every single game.”
Therrien twice stressed he wasn’t talking specifically about Vanek, but the message seemed clear that’s who the message was intended for.
Vanek has a goal and two assists in the playoffs, but his performance in Game 1 against Boston wasn’t inspiring. When he’s at his best, he’s one of the top scorers in the league and that’s what Therrien and the Habs need from him against the league’s best team in the regular season.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)