May 3, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens didn’t get a great game from Thomas Vanek in Game 1 and with his history of success against the Boston Bruins, it came as a bit of a surprise.
Vanek had no points or shots on goal in 18:58 in the Canadiens’ 4-3 double-overtime win and judging by what Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said ahead of this afternoon’s Game 2, Vanek will need to show a lot more to impress him as Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press writes.
“One thing that’s not negotiable with our team … work ethic is not negotiable, attitude is not negotiable and competing is not negotiable,” Therrien said. “This is something we ask from every player on our hockey team. We have to make sure that everyone brings those elements to every single shift and every single game.”
Therrien twice stressed he wasn’t talking specifically about Vanek, but the message seemed clear that’s who the message was intended for.
Vanek has a goal and two assists in the playoffs, but his performance in Game 1 against Boston wasn’t inspiring. When he’s at his best, he’s one of the top scorers in the league and that’s what Therrien and the Habs need from him against the league’s best team in the regular season.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)