May 3, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
It was a trying first season in Philadelphia for Vincent Lecavalier.
He missed 13 games with injury and went through the motions of adapting to a new team. While he finished the season with 20 goals, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and owner Ed Snider both expressed hope he’ll pick things up next season as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shares.
“He’s a good hockey player,” Snider said. “He got 20 goals with all the problems … he had a problem this year, but it’s got to be solved by next year.”
Holmgren said he was “disappointed” for, not in, Lecavalier for how things went this season and said, “a lot of things went against him.”
The Flyers signed Lecavalier to a five-year, $22.5 million deal last summer after the former Tampa Bay Lightning captain was bought out by the team.
At 34 years old, Lecavalier’s best seasons are likely behind him and if there’s something for the Flyers to be nervous about, it’s his health. The last time he played a full season was 2009-10. If his health can get settled down, perhaps he can have a stronger season in 2014-15.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)