May 3, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Maybe it came after much deliberation or perhaps Bruce Boudreau was just putting up a smokescreen, but either way, it appears that Jonas Hiller will be the Anaheim Ducks’ starter on Saturday as they face the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of their second-round series.
Hiller, 32, took over for Frederik Andersen in Game 6 against the Dallas Stars. He stopped all of the 12 shots he faced in a relief appearance that ended up being a come-from-behind win that ended that first-round series in overtime.
It’s been an up-and-down season for both Hiller and Andersen, as Boudreau noted that the former’s confidence seemed shaken heading into the playoffs.
Hiller went 1-0-1 with two goals allowed on 87 shots in two regular season games against the Kings this season. He’s played in 21 regular season games against Los Angeles in his NHL career, posting a 9-8-3 record with an impressive .928 save percentage. It’s unclear what inspired Boudreau to pick Hiller over Andersen, but now the Swiss-born goalie is tasked with shutting down the red-hot Kings.
Here are the full lineups:
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 1
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)