May 3, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
Maybe it came after much deliberation or perhaps Bruce Boudreau was just putting up a smokescreen, but either way, it appears that Jonas Hiller will be the Anaheim Ducks’ starter on Saturday as they face the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of their second-round series.
Hiller, 32, took over for Frederik Andersen in Game 6 against the Dallas Stars. He stopped all of the 12 shots he faced in a relief appearance that ended up being a come-from-behind win that ended that first-round series in overtime.
It’s been an up-and-down season for both Hiller and Andersen, as Boudreau noted that the former’s confidence seemed shaken heading into the playoffs.
Hiller went 1-0-1 with two goals allowed on 87 shots in two regular season games against the Kings this season. He’s played in 21 regular season games against Los Angeles in his NHL career, posting a 9-8-3 record with an impressive .928 save percentage. It’s unclear what inspired Boudreau to pick Hiller over Andersen, but now the Swiss-born goalie is tasked with shutting down the red-hot Kings.
Here are the full lineups:
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 23
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)