May 3, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Maybe it came after much deliberation or perhaps Bruce Boudreau was just putting up a smokescreen, but either way, it appears that Jonas Hiller will be the Anaheim Ducks’ starter on Saturday as they face the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 of their second-round series.
Hiller, 32, took over for Frederik Andersen in Game 6 against the Dallas Stars. He stopped all of the 12 shots he faced in a relief appearance that ended up being a come-from-behind win that ended that first-round series in overtime.
It’s been an up-and-down season for both Hiller and Andersen, as Boudreau noted that the former’s confidence seemed shaken heading into the playoffs.
Hiller went 1-0-1 with two goals allowed on 87 shots in two regular season games against the Kings this season. He’s played in 21 regular season games against Los Angeles in his NHL career, posting a 9-8-3 record with an impressive .928 save percentage. It’s unclear what inspired Boudreau to pick Hiller over Andersen, but now the Swiss-born goalie is tasked with shutting down the red-hot Kings.
Here are the full lineups:
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 14
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 29
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)